Author Topic: Source(s) for ceramic wire?  (Read 1547 times)

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
Source(s) for ceramic wire?
« on: June 16, 2012, 12:00:58 AM »
Is there a current source for ceramic wire (.005).  I'd bought some over 10 years ago and would like to find a source here in the U.S. for a couple of projects.
Thanks
Charlie
"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard."  Pogo

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
Re: Source(s) for ceramic wire?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 08:39:22 AM »
A US cousin of mine kindly tracked down a source of Wonder Wire to:

Precision Enterprises Unlimited
PO Box 97
Springfield
VT 05156

Sorry I can't lay my hands on a phone number for you at present. This was last year, and to be honest I haven't tried it out yet, but it looks like very nice stuff, just needing to be cut carefully. As you already know. It's actually 6 thou by the way. How you get on with it, when you last used it?

Mark

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 07:07:38 AM »
Mark, I measure with a set of dividers where the wire starts and ends and then cut the piece while it's still in the plastic bag.  I don't want to chance a piece going into the carpet and sticking a grand daughter's foot.  I then aac both ends to the struts and when this is dry it brush Elmers white glue over the ends.  I did locate my package of ceramic wire so I can finish the Berg. 
Charlie

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 08:51:08 AM »
I've never heard of ceramic wire until now, but from googling it, I understand that it's a very hard wire. What makes it more useful than other more readily available wire types in model building?

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 11:11:03 PM »
You really can not bend it without breaking it so the advantage is it holds a very straight line for rigging.