Author Topic: Thinner question...  (Read 5646 times)

Offline Whiteknuckles

Thinner question...
« on: June 14, 2012, 11:14:43 AM »
Greetings all,

I'm using Humbrol enamel's for my Dr.1 build, well on the engine/cockpit inner fuse at least.
My question is one the use of thinners - my local hobby shop (LHS - yes?) didn't have any humbrol thinner as such but Tamiya X20a.
Would that be ok to use or something else from a hardware shop (and less expensive?)
I will be brush painting and want to avoid the paint being so thick it obscures detail on the engine, etc.
No. I didn't ask the shop attendant at the time....

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: Thinner question...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 11:27:41 AM »
  Andrew,
I wouldn't use the Tamiya with Humbrol paints. Tamiya's thinner is for water based paint. What you need is a thinner for solvent based paint like Humbrol. As long as you don't thin the paint in it's original I would suggest using a lacquer thinner, this is what I do for my projects. Ordinary hardware store paint thinner would do just as well and you can thin your paint in it's original tin. It also carries less of a health danger than lacquer thinner does.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 10:08:48 PM »
I use laquer thinner too but to airbrush. Gregory - do you brush/thin with laquer? Thought it might be a bit too hot for brushing. I get mixed up with the terms for oil/enamel thinners. Paint thinner, paint solvent, brush cleaner, enamel reducer etc. Are they all the same? Turpentine I know is another ball of wax.

Steve

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 10:33:03 PM »
Isn't Mineral Turps the ordinary paint thinner?

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 10:34:55 PM »
...uuuh here we go again. I thought mineral spirits and turpentine were two different things.....

Steve

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 03:07:21 AM »
Andrew,
    I have a similar problem. I use Humbrol enamals a lot, slowly getting used to Acrylics however I can't find Humbrol Thinners here anymore. I use Testors Universal Enamal Thinner (Model Master Series) on Humbrols with good results. Comes in a 8 Fluid oz./236 ml can. I have noticed though that the paints don't last as long with it once added so I tend to mix what I need separate from the Humbrol Tin. I also often mix Model Master and Humbrol Enamals for the shade I want, works the same. As for Laquer Thinner I learned from Spencer Pollard (Military in Scale) at a recent Show that the one he prefers is the Tamiya brand, according to him Tamiya Acrylics are actually a mild Laquer base, the thinner is much weaker then the store bought standard product which in his words are generally a "hotter" (much stronger) laquer and can cause you a lot of grief. He thins and airbrushes Tamya Acrylics with the Tamiya product, especially for shading, weathering, and panel work.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Lance
Lance

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 05:32:40 AM »
I use regular white spirit to clean my airbrush after using enamels.  It won't harm to do a test mix of a little enamel paint with white spirits then on a test bit of spare plastic?  White spirit is much cheaper than model brand thinner.  I haven't actually used the spirits yet as thinner as I have some Humbrol and Revell thinners already, but I will give it a try at some point.

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 10:18:10 AM »
Thanks gents for the tips and descriptions - I'll be testing the paint and thinner I've got on a spare He-51 airframe that's sitting around.

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 01:32:36 PM »
Hi Andrew - I use general purpose enamel thinners for thinning my Humbrol enamel paints, I get it from Bunnings at about $14 for a one litre tin, lasts for ages. I do most of my painting with an air brush but it works very well with brush painting as well, never had a problem.

For thinning my Gunze acrylics I use a tad of lacquer thinners, makes the paint spray beautifully.

I use the lacquer thinners for cleaning my air brush, that stuff will remove any type of paint and leaves the air brush squeaky clean. It is very very important though when using lacquer thinners, wear a good quality chemical respirator.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 02:58:13 PM »
  Just to add to what Des said the respirator he's referring to is the cartridge type. If you plan on getting one of these make very sure you use the right cartridge for the job at hand,the wrong one is as good as not having one at all. If you're using or plan to use lacquer thinner or lacquer based paints the respirator really is a must if you value your liver. Thanks Des for bring up the use of a respirator.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

PS: Sorry if I sound like I'm preaching safety, spent years training my fellow XOM employees in safety and safe practices.
" What Me Worry"

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 03:50:35 PM »
I'm all for the safety preaching Gregory and Des, I'm a fire fighter so respiratory safety is of prime importance in my job!!
I don't plan on using any lacquer thinner or paint at this point due to a lack of a dedicated hobby space and other such considerations... ;)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 09:17:01 PM »
This is the repirator I use, it has twin filters which are rated to keep out all chemicals, when I'm spraying lacquer I don't get any fumes through the filters at all, they do a great job. From memory, with the correct filters it cost around $60.00.

Des.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 09:18:45 PM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 05:19:58 AM »
My solvent for enamels is lacquer thinner for the most part, with Testor's thinner as the backup. I've got a dedicated modelling area with a window, so I can vent fumes from my paint booth directly outside. And yes, I use a mask that looks much the same as the one Des uses.

Gary
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 09:27:24 AM »
Be careful with laquer thinners thru some INTERNAL mix airbrushes. Some have teflon/nylon internal sleeves that laq thinner will destroy - Badger I believe can be a problem.

Steve

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 10:24:48 AM »
Noted, thanks guys.

I've actually got a respirator like the one Des has, used for something else. Wont be using lacquer at the moment anyway.

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice