Author Topic: Fe2b in Dec/Jan AirModeller  (Read 2611 times)

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Fe2b in Dec/Jan AirModeller
« on: January 25, 2015, 09:49:17 PM »
Maybe old news to some, but AirModeller 57 Dec/Jan has a fantastic Fe2b build by Chema Martinez Fernandez that features an exposed upper wing center section, fuselage side, painted markings , and lots of lovely details

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
Re: Fe2b in Dec/Jan AirModeller
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 10:34:58 PM »
Wow!  That is some beautiful work from such
an obvious master builder.  Thanks for posting, Bo.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Matt Parvis

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 01:40:06 AM »
Folks probably know this, but, individual articles can be purchased/downloaded from the Air Modeller site.  Go to the main page, click on "shop" and then go to "AIR article archive" from the categories on the right hand side.  You need to register, and it isn't the slickest process ever, but, it is a nice way to get articles you are interested in.  Most articles, including this one, are £1.

Matt
We won't bring the muskets, we won't cause the pain,
But we're good for some headaches, and tough to clean stains.

Offline Derrick

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 06:20:41 AM »
I would like to build a FE 2B with a full load of bombs but all that rigging is kinda scaring me off. Maybe I will get one, once that osprey book on the bomber aces shows up or maybe another two seater. Has anyone purchased the book from Cross and Cockade International ? I have the Sopwith Dolphin book from them wondering if it is the same format and detail.

I have gotten articles from the Air Modeller site, but it may not be an old issue. I seem to remember especially with the Military Modeller magazine, they were a couple of issues behind here in Canada.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 07:41:47 AM »
Thanks for posting this Bo, it is certainly an exremely well made model and the exposed sections adds an enormous amount of interest to the model

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 09:49:59 AM »
I would like to build a FE 2B with a full load of bombs but all that rigging is kinda scaring me off. Maybe I will get one, once that osprey book on the bomber aces shows up or maybe another two seater. Has anyone purchased the book from Cross and Cockade International ? I have the Sopwith Dolphin book from them wondering if it is the same format and detail.

I have gotten articles from the Air Modeller site, but it may not be an old issue. I seem to remember especially with the Military Modeller magazine, they were a couple of issues behind here in Canada.

I have the Cross & Cockade book on the Fee and it is absolutely brilliant, one of the most treasured in my library. Covers all the versions, profusely illustrated. Well woth the money IMHO
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

WarrenD

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 11:08:40 AM »
Thanks for posting this Bo, I saw that issue on the magazine stand at my local* book store. I thumbed through it and thought it a great build.

Matt, thanks for the tip about buying articles from Air Modeler!  I haven't bought an issue yet because they primarily cater to the large scale crowd it seems, and it's a pricey mag. (Beautiful paper, great printing, etc., but too rich for this kid.)

Warren

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 11:38:41 AM »
Folks probably know this, but, individual articles can be purchased/downloaded from the Air Modeller site. 

Is there more to the article than Bo has shared with us?

Thanks,
Michael

WarrenD

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 11:48:57 AM »
Folks probably know this, but, individual articles can be purchased/downloaded from the Air Modeller site. 

Thanks,
Michael

Oh yes.

Warren

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 12:31:06 PM »

Thanks,
Michael

Yeah I think it goes beyond fair use to post more than a taste of the article.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 10:29:40 PM »
... And in the latest issue (Feb/March) there is a lovely 1:48 Salmson Otsu-1 (Gaspatch) by forum member Pierre Giustiniani ...

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 03:22:02 AM »
I just downloaded the magazine onto my iPad and read about the Fe2b. What an amazing model. I'd love to do a stripped wing with exposed ribs. I'm going to find a convincing way to do this on my next build, but I'll have to figure out which kit from my WnWs stash would be the best choice. I guess feasibly any of them will work.

Thanks for sharing, Bo.

George

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 04:05:17 AM »
I just downloaded the magazine onto my iPad and read about the Fe2b. What an amazing model. I'd love to do a stripped wing with exposed ribs. I'm going to find a convincing way to do this on my next build

Did you see my Fokker D.III prototype wing? You have a Silhouette, right?

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=3077.60

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 04:19:00 AM »
Yes Bo, your wing looks great and I have used my Silhouette to cut ribs. Your technique of soaking paper with thin CA is how we in the paper modeling world add strength to delicate parts. How did you discover this?  We also use cigarette paper to roll tubes small enough to rival any brass tubes available, again strengthened with CA. That's how I'm building the framework for my paper D.VI. The frame is as thin as the WNWs D.VII plastic frame.

George

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 05:51:10 AM »
. How did you discover this?

Dunno, it just was what made sense. Had no idea it was common practice in the paper world -- but of course there is nothing new under the sun :)