Author Topic: Airfix 1:72 Hannover CL.IIIa  (Read 19527 times)

Online IanB

Airfix 1:72 Hannover CL.IIIa
« on: June 11, 2012, 01:36:36 AM »
I won't be starting on this one just yet, as I have a bench full already, but once the Pup, Camel and FK8 are finally finished I'll be digging this old baggie out of the stash!

Ian
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 03:31:07 AM by IanB »

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: Airfix 1:72 Hannover CL.IIIa
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 01:45:36 AM »
  Ian,
Man that Nelly scheme looks beautiful my old friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 01:30:02 PM by Des »
" What Me Worry"

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 02:05:45 AM »
OmiGod, another one from my dim and distant past. If this keeps up I'll soon be suffering from terminal Flashbackitis!  ;D

Good luck, Ian. I'll be watching this thread to see your excellent work and to relive my distant youth!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 01:30:25 PM by Des »
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 02:54:37 AM »
Looks like this one has resided in your stash for a long time Ian!
Great colour scheme you've picked there.

Andrew
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 01:30:46 PM by Des »
Eternal Apprentice

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 06:31:38 AM »
It's great (read, comforting) to see another Hannover being worked up, Ian.  I'm curious as to how you'll tackle the fuselage loz.
Cheers,
Bud
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 01:31:10 PM by Des »
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Flyjunkie

• wherever You go, there You are...
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 09:04:41 AM »
oh yeah!! I have this Kit, in it's modern Box.. i will be watching your building of this.. Inspiration is always welcomed!!! ;D

Dean ~~~ 8)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 01:31:33 PM by Des »
"..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride.." ~~ Hunter S. Thompson

Online IanB

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 10:50:40 AM »
After looking at the photo in the Datafile, I can see that the colour scheme as depicted is totally wrong. The fuselage should be handpainted lozenge, oversprayed to dull the edges. The engine also appears to be largely uncowled. Does anyone know of an aftermarket Argus engine in 1:72 I could use? I have a set of 4 from Engines & Things for my Ilya Muromets, but it turns out they're not Arguses, they have 6 separate cylinders instead of 3 sets of 2 cylinders....need to replace those too..... Should be a challenge!

Ian
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 01:31:54 PM by Des »

Online IanB

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 11:26:39 PM »
Engine problem solved!
 I e-mailed Choroszy and he can supply the engines separately at US$2 each. Needless to say I've ordered a full set of Arguses for the Muromets, one for the Hannover and a couple of RAF4a's for the Airfix RE8 in my stash and a spare....

Ian
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 01:32:17 PM by Des »

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 09:23:00 AM »
Great news, Ian! Glad to hear that this hurdle has been crossed so quickly!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 01:32:39 PM by Des »
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Online IanB

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 11:57:01 AM »
Oh well...despite the others on my bench not being finished I couldn't resist making a start!
 I've removed the locator pins for the engine and pilot, the Parabellum gun ring and all the rib detail from the wings and tail, leaving just the coolant tank and radiator. I've also opened up the starboard fuselage side for the Spandau and exhaust cutouts, along with thinning the sides in those areas and sanded the upper fuselage sides below the observer's position to round it out and remove the squared off look on the mouldings.
 The Parabellum and ring will be replaced by an Aeroclub item. The engine will be a Choroszy Modelbud item which is on its way (it'll need a little alteration to the induction to change it from Argus As.II to As.III) and decals are on order form Doug Baumann.
 There is still a bit of work required on the wing and tail planforms, but nothing major. I haven't checked the rest of the parts to the plans yet, so I'm hoping it'll be fairly minor work required - certainly nothing on the scale of the RE8!

Ian
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 03:34:21 AM by IanB »

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 12:05:18 PM »
   Ian,
She off to a grand beginning my friend. I'm looking forward to following along with this soon to be awesome project.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 01:33:25 PM by Des »
" What Me Worry"

Online IanB

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 01:52:19 AM »
Since my bench is now clear, I've made a little more progress on this one. Both upper and lower wings, and the ailerons needed a little re-profiling, so the wing tips were sanded to a flat edge, plastic card fillets were added, and then sanded to shape and filled as necessary. The same was done for the centre section cut-out which was way too wide. The wings also required a little bending to get the correct dihedral and flat centre section.
 The engine has arrived and it's a little beauty! A little work was required opening up slightly clogged areas on the inlet manifolds, and I drilled the exhaust side and added some plastic rod. The rest of the exhaust was carefully removed from what passes as an engine in the kit and these parts will be added towards the end of the build. I've reprofiled the prop a little, removed the kit mounting peg and drilled the engine to accept plastic rod for the prop shaft. The front part of the engine cowling has also been drilled out and thinned so it fits over  the front of the engine properly.

Slowly but surely....

Ian
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 03:38:33 AM by IanB »

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 07:48:03 AM »
Hello, Ian -

This should look good when done.   How bad/inaccurate is this Airfix kit?  Are these old WW1 range of kits worth building?  I had and built some years ago Airfix's Albatros DV kit which I thought was very crude.

Good luck with the rest of the build, mate!

Best regards

Dave
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 01:34:14 PM by Des »
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 10:26:14 AM »
Looks great right away. The scheme on these is ALWAYS interesting!!

Steve
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 01:34:38 PM by Des »

Online IanB

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 01:20:49 PM »
Dave,
 They are all very crude, no doubt, but they vary in accuracy. The Pup wings were horrible, as are the SPAD VII wings. However this one is nowhere near that bad, just requiring minor reprofiling/thinning and of course the obligatory removal of the "spare ribs"on the wings (far more easily removed than those of the 2 previously mentioned, which have VERY thin wings even prior to the rib removal.....), a minor alteration on the tail profile and rudder, and removal of the moulded detail for the observer's gun ring. It will also require scratchbuilt undercarriage struts as these are typical early Airfix with the huge "sewer pipe" fittings for the axle! Because I am fitting an after market engine, I had to thin the forward fuselage and correct the moulding on the right side of the engine cowling to enable the engine to sit low enough and fit the exhausts correctly.
 The RE8 kit is the epitome of early Airfix awfulness, requiring FAR more work than this one! Having said that, I have another RE8 in the stash with a Choroszy engine and Miniworld Scarff ring and Lewis guns waiting it's turn.....can't wait to get started on that one!  ;D

Email Airfix and ask them to reissue these early WWI kits with new tooling - I did, and they said they "always consider customer input" - can't hurt!

Ian
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 01:35:01 PM by Des »