Author Topic: Fokker D.VII MAG - differences from "standard" D.VII ?  (Read 1156 times)

Offline petero

Fokker D.VII MAG - differences from "standard" D.VII ?
« on: January 01, 2015, 02:36:31 AM »
What are the differences between the post-war MAG version and the wartime D.VIIs?  Would any of the WNW versions be convertible to the MAG version?

Eduard makes a MAG version in 1/48, and I like the Romanian scheme, but I would rather do a 1/32 model.  From the instructions, it looks like the engine and radiator are different, but that's all I can tell.

http://www.eduard.com/store/Eduard/Fokker-D-VII-MAG-DUAL-COMBO-1-48.html
http://www.hyperscale.com/2010/reviews/kits/eduard1147reviewrb_1.htm

Thanks!

Peter

Offline davecww1

Re: Fokker D.VII MAG - differences from "standard" D.VII ?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 07:09:07 AM »
Hi Peter, if you look at the Eduard instructions sprue G and X are all parts unique to the MAG built D.VII.  The differences are as follows:  Engine, guns, ammunition feed, gun mounts, radiator, fuselage (nose panels are different to fit to the MAG radiator), and axle wing.  There may be a few smaller things but that is most of them.  If you can find a 1/32 scale Austro-Damlier and have no problem scratchbuilding the radiator and adding the various louvers it should not be too hard to do, I see the Romanian version had no guns so just add a panel over the gun mount location and you should be good to go.   
Dave

Offline petero

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 11:34:03 PM »
Thanks for the info, Dave.  I had figured out the engine sprue, but didn't notice the G sprue.  I've already posted a want ad both here and on HyperScale for the Austro-Daimler engine from the Battle Axe OEFFAG Albatros D.III, but without any result so far.  Scratchbuilding a new radiator won't be a problem.  If I can't source the engine, I'll have to build the Eduard kit instead.

Do you happen to know why the axle wing was different?  It seems to be an odd component to change.

Peter

Offline davecww1

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 11:46:02 AM »
Hi Peter, not sure exactly, may have been how the halves were attached together as the Fok, OEF and Albatros built ones were all different.  I have the Eduard kit but it's packed away in my attic where the temp is sub zero right now... I can probably check once it warms up a little.
Dave

Offline petero

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 12:39:00 PM »
Ah, I didn't realize they were all different.  (But then, my knowledge of WW1 planes would fit on the head of a pin with room to spare  :o )  I checked the Windsock Anthology volumes, but they don't cover  thepost-war period.

Sub-zero temps?  Sounds like my neck of the woods in New Hampshire... it was -10F this morning.  Thank goodness for cars with heated seats!

Peter