Author Topic: USN 1920 GIANT Flying Boat??  (Read 1002 times)

Michael Scarborough

USN 1920 GIANT Flying Boat??
« on: December 20, 2014, 04:03:40 AM »
And you thought the Felixstowe was big?

I just came across this set of plans in some of my dad's stuff. Does anyone know anything about this plane? The wingspan, at 150 ft is 25 ft greater than the NC-4.

If anyone knows anything, please share it with us.

Cheers from NYC,
Michael
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 05:07:08 AM by Michael Scarborough »

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: USN 1920 GIANT Flying Boat??
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 11:40:48 AM »
Can't help you out Mike , never even heard of this type . But wow , she is massive !

would make an interesting project ...

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Berman

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 02:18:11 PM »
 I am very curious if this aircraft was ever built. There was a large triplane flying boat fitted with five Rolls Royce Eagle VIII engines. This was the Felixstowe Fury. Only one was constructed. It had a wingspan of 123 feet.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 03:08:10 PM »
I suspect this a/c was never built... The Felixstowe Fury is in the record books as the the largest Triplane flying boat ever constructed, slightly shorter wingspan ... But it would be fun to be educated otherwise...

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 09:46:16 PM »
It's got to be an extrapolation of the Curtiss NC series, hasn't it?

Mark

Offline ermeio

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 10:19:18 PM »
You should ask help on the 'secret projects' website, there is a group of chaps that have a great competence on such beasts there...
I think that you will find an answer
Er me

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 01:38:11 PM »
I'm with Bo.....I doubt it was ever built, even as a single prototype. I am sure we'd have heard of it. And, as they are American plans, I doubt they'd have any relation to the Felixstowe. Granted, F'stowes were used by the Americans and some Curtis planes were used by the British, but this just never seems to have gotten off the drawing board...literally.

I will send these to a couple of my dad's colleagues who are still living....maybe someone will have some ideas.

Yes, Terri....it would make an amazing model! I have to say it occurs to me to just do the hull under construction as a diorama. It would be a lot like doing a plank-on-frame ship model. We just need to make the days 50 hours long, is all.

Cheers from NYC,
Michael