Author Topic: A good Epoxy ???  (Read 5355 times)

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
A good Epoxy ???
« on: June 08, 2012, 10:45:14 AM »
  What's a good epoxy type glue to be used for joining resin parts to white metal? Thanks in advance guys.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Flyjunkie

• wherever You go, there You are...
Re: A good Epoxy ???
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 12:11:28 PM »
you might want to try "Z-Poxy" by Pace (who make Zap CA & Zap-A-Gap)..

it's a better 5 minute epoxy then the others commonly available , I use it for Saltwater Flyfishing applications, but I would imagine it should work perfect for you needs as well.... if you need to thin it, just mix in 90% rubbing alcohol and it will thin down very nicely..
If you mix it with a little more Hardener then Resin (as opposed to the recommended 50/50 mix) it will speed up the cure time...
"..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride.." ~~ Hunter S. Thompson

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 08:43:51 AM »
  Dean,
Thanks much my friend I'll have to see if the LHS carries the brand.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 09:49:12 AM »
Gregory,

I use Quik-Cure two part 5 minute epoxy. It comes in two bottles so you can mix it at whatever ratio you want. It's much handier to use than those syringe packages you see in the hardware store. I saw today that my LHS stocks it but it's also available through the internet with HobbyKing for a very reasonable $5.39.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8684

I'm still using the same two bottles some 20 years after buying it but I recently found it by chance at HobbyKing so I ordered it and received it in just over a week. Not bad service to Ontario, Canada as it shipped from Hong Kong.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 07:31:44 AM »
Two-part five minute epoxy is the way to go. You have the time to mix thoroughly, you need only a smidge (less is more!), and the parts are solidly attached in five minutes or so (depending on the mix, temperature, etc., etc.)   ;)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Flyjunkie

• wherever You go, there You are...
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 01:21:10 PM »
technically , 5 minute Epoxy only Sets Up in 5 minutes..   it takes 24 hours for it to completely Cure .. (the tackiness goes away once the Epoxy has cured correctly for 24 hours)...

Also 5 minute Epoxy is not waterproof -  30 minute/2 ton epoxy is waterproof..

5 minute Epoxy will yellow from exposure to UV rays, however if you paint it or coat it, it will not yellow... 30 Minute/2 ton epoxy will yellow, but at a much slower rate then the 5 minute type..

and Trackpad is correct, you only need a small amount of epoxy to glue something.. too much is not good.

also make certain you clean off any grease or dirt before using the epoxy.. to assure a solid connection... ;)
"..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride.." ~~ Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Rizzo

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 07:50:12 PM »
I've tried a couple of 5 minute epoxy glues- some went solid and gave quite a good grip after 5 minutes, some didin't really seem to work much at all until a day later... 'original superglue' is the one I liked the most

I'm wondering if anyone uses epoxy glue for holding rigging eyelets secure? I'd like to use something that gives a better grip than CA glue as I'd like to rig my next one with fishing line rather than EZ line. I find epoxy glue much easier to work with too- much too easy to make a mess with CA glue...

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 02:21:04 AM »
I'm wondering if anyone uses epoxy glue for holding rigging eyelets secure?

I'm interested in this too, as I'm currently building Trumpeter's 1/32 Swordfish (Hey, it's a biplane!) and I'll be substituting monofilament for the PE rigging material. I plan to fill the slots for the PE anchors with epoxy glue and set the eyelets in it. I don't know whether to wait until the glue starts to set and then place the eyelets, or allow the epoxy to fully set and then drill it for the eyelets.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.