Author Topic: Nieuport 17 into 16 or 11?  (Read 3414 times)

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
Nieuport 17 into 16 or 11?
« on: December 17, 2014, 01:36:42 AM »
Afternoon, chaps.

The 72nd scale Eastern Express Nie 11 seems to be unavailable at the moment so I'm wondering how much work would be involved to turn an Eduard Nie 17 into an 11 or 16.

I know the engine cowls are different but how different is the fuselage itself?
Are there differences in the wings?
etc...

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Nieuport 17 into 16 or 11?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 04:55:35 AM »
N.17 had larger wings for one thing...

Offline Squiffy

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 07:34:33 AM »
Thanks, Bo. I guess it's a non-starter then.  :(

WarrenD

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 10:27:37 AM »

No, no, no, no!  You're giving up too easy!  >:( >:(  Stop that.  :)

For many years, the only 1/72nd Nieuport game in town was the ancient Revell offering.  (Long story VERY short, that's one reason it became my pet a/c to model. More later if you're interested.)
I have one (and sadly only one) of the old Rosemont Nie.11 resin fuselages that Barry sold in order to convert the Revell Nie.17 into an 11/16. It also came with plans/instructions on how to convert the Nie.17 wings.   It's buried somewhere in the man cave, and I'll gladly dig it out for you to scan it if you're interested.
I'm a bit of a Nieuport freak Squiffy, but all of my books, etc. are buried at the moment. I hope to clear the bench this Christmas and get back to work on my Noop builds.

Warren

Offline Procopius

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 02:20:22 PM »
  It's buried somewhere in the man cave, and I'll gladly dig it out for you to scan it if you're interested.

Even if he isn't, I certainly am, if it's not an awful bother.
"Kill the sods, the Hunnerinoes, at all costs. Anywhere and everywhere!"
-- Major Keith "Grid" Caldwell, 74 (Tiger) Squadron

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 02:54:24 PM »
why not cast copies of the impossible to get fuselage?

WarrenD

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 09:09:24 PM »
why not cast copies of the impossible to get fuselage?

I've thought of doing that, but I've never cast a part before, and I honestly didn't think there would be any interest.

If y'all can talk me through it, I'll sure give it a try.

Warren

Offline Squiffy

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 02:20:38 AM »

It also came with plans/instructions on how to convert the Nie.17 wings.   It's buried somewhere in the man cave, and I'll gladly dig it out for you to scan it if you're interested.

Thanks, Warren. I'm definitely interested. Whether I can actually do it is another matter.

WarrenD

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 09:39:18 AM »
Well, I've got 330 Job Corps students to put on buses and take to the airport or bus station tomorrow morning at oh-dark-thirty, and then the company Christmas party on Friday. After that I'm taking some much needed vacation for a week, so I'll hunt them down, post pics/scans, and we'll all talk.

Sound good?

Warren

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 01:51:32 PM »
Camp Breckenridge? I converted a Revell Nie 17 to an 11 about 3 decades ago using an article and drawings in an old issue of Scale Models magazine. It was not difficult. As I recall, it involved reducing the wingspans, deepening the inaccurate Revell fuselage, and reshaping the cowl. I think Classic Planes also did a nice vac kit of the 11.

WarrenD

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 11:12:57 AM »
No Rob, not Earl C/Camp Breckenridge (they have 1,000+ students), but Muhlenberg. I'm back, been at it since 3:00 AM, and I'm exhausted.

Rob, do you remember the issue of Scale Models in which that article appeared?  I and others, I am sure, would like to know. (The Toko kit has its own inaccuracies, etc., so converting the Revell isn't that bad of a trade-off in my book.)

I'll try to dig out the Rosemont conversion this weekend.

Warren

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 04:37:56 PM »
i cast stuff all the time its pretty easy in principal. what ive found is the most important thing is designing the mold to take advantage of the shape of the part and neatness counts. i know a guy who has been casting for a hundred years it seems and he does decent work but he doesnt like to take the time and effort to imbed the part in clay to get the mold seam where it virtually disappears etc. i like to make a smooth bed of clay then dig out a recess and imbed the part and nicely neatly smooth the clay so that it meets the piece at a square angle or in some cases like the one i am about to do the top and sides of the fuselage will be in one part of the mold and the bottom will be on the other part this way the mold splits at the lower edge along the corner leaving minimal cleanup for the piece after casting. you might could make a 1 piece mold by ca glueing a roundish spacer on the nose of your nieuport basically the firwall. stand it on end then use a clay sausage to stick it to a flat surface tail pointing up. build a box leaving an inch or so around the fuselage and close to that past the tail end. use clay to seal the box(many guys use legos) so that the silicone doesnt ooze out. once cured you  just take it all apart and remove the original. pour resin inside and then you can make copies. this assumes the fuselage is one piece. if i could see what your trying to do i could advise better.below is a primer:
http://www.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=features&file=view&artid=469
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 04:42:32 PM by ALBATROS1234 »

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 10:03:31 PM »
The link Scott gave above was helpful to me, too.

I wrote up some notes awhile back based on my noob experiences here:

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=2696.0

WarrenD

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 01:18:48 AM »
Thanks pards. When I post the scans, I'll post a pic of the fuselage and I thought y'all could advise me better then.

Warren

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 02:16:45 PM »
I don't recall which issue of the magazine and I no longer have a copy of the article. However, I think the conversion could be accomplished easily enough with a good set of scale drawings.