Author Topic: Roden 1/48 scale BE12b  (Read 10913 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Roden 1/48 scale BE12b
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2012, 10:12:41 AM »
Thank you so much, Keith, Paddy, Dave and Ken.  I really do appreciate your kind words, guys.

Dave, all British planes are intricately rigged.  I think that's why I prefer them over their German counterparts.  In my display cases, I have 8 Central Powers aircraft (6 German and 2 A/H) and 14 Allied aircraft (8 British, 5 French and 1 Italian).
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2012, 12:53:43 PM »
Bud,
as I said elsewhere, Beautifully finished and detailed. Lovely work!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2012, 01:29:07 AM »
Thanks, Rick.  It was really good having you along for the ride.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2012, 12:08:14 PM »
Thank you, Chris, old buddy.  You know, I have this weird thing about posting a WIP in more than one place.  A build I do here, stays here.  A build I do there, stays there.  That said, you can still pop in and take a peek as a guest, can't you?
http://www.greatwaraviation.com/forum/index.php/topic,2905.0.html
Cheers,
Bud

Unfortunately, when I pulled the plug over there, I pulled it completely. Guests have no access to threads. Such is life.

Cheers,

Chris
Here ya go, Chris.  Nothing spectacular, but I did say I'd post some of the build photos for you.
Had to update the BE2c tail to the correct size and shape for the 12b.

Some interior shots:

Because of the openings in the bottom of the cowling, I wanted to add an engine, but didn't want the hassels of trying to line up the cylinder heads, so I cut them off.

Some pre-shading shots:

And the rest is pretty standard painting and rigging stuff that you can see in the finished photos.  Sorry to take up so much space with these.  You can blame Chris.  ;) (after all, how can I refuse a friend?)
Cheers,
Bud

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2012, 04:24:27 AM »
You make that rib masking technique look almost effortless Bud. You get killer results with it. I'll make my second stab at it with this Fairey Swordfish I'm currently building. As it doesn't fit in the scope of this forum, I don't have to show you guys how it turns out!  ;D ;D

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2012, 09:24:41 AM »
You make that rib masking technique look almost effortless Bud. You get killer results with it. I'll make my second stab at it with this Fairey Swordfish I'm currently building. As it doesn't fit in the scope of this forum, I don't have to show you guys how it turns out!  ;D ;D

Cheers,

Chris
Thanks, Chris, but you don't get off that easily, buddy.  After all, we do have this section:
http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?board=13.0
 ;)
Let's see some pics.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2012, 10:39:11 AM »
Bud,
thanks for the WIP pics. Couple of newbie questions if I may :D

What material did you use for the preshading (I can see a container of powdered material in one shot)?
What's on the brush (if anything)?
What's on the cotton bud (if anything)?

Thanks

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2012, 01:54:29 PM »
Sorry, Andrew. :-[ I should have included that info with the pics.

What material did you use for the preshading (I can see a container of powdered material in one shot)?
What's on the brush (if anything)?
What's on the cotton bud (if anything)?

The brown powder is ground up artist's pastels.  Unfortunately, the artist didn't want to give up the pastels, so he got ground up with them.  ???
There's nothing worth mentioning on the brush.  I just use it to remove the excess pastel powder and other trace evidence. :-X
I just use the cotton bud to smooth everything out and get the shading just the way I want it.
This is a really easy technique.  Just remember to apply the mask and pastels to a matt finish.  You can use the same technique for post-shading.  It's even more important to spray a flat finish over your decals and to pull the tape slowly back on itself to ensure the decals stay put.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2012, 02:12:14 PM »
Thanks for the info Bud - very informative and filed for future reference!!
Maybe the "extra's" in the ground powder are your secret for making it look so effective ;D

Do you use a full range of colours for different effects or just a restricted range for weathering/making dirty effects?
Sorry for the questions - I find the use of pastels and such fascinating and very effective.

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2012, 02:32:02 PM »
I have 36 colors, Andrew.  So far, I've only used several shades of brown, tans, black and white.  I have used green on occassion combined with brown and tan to create grass stains on skids and tires.  I can foresee using greens and purples when I get around to building an Albatros.  Give it a try, Andrew.  I think you'll be surprised at how easy it is and pleased with the results.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2012, 08:58:16 PM »
Wow 36 ground up artists!!! What did you fix the pastels with after you put then on? Sorry if you answered that elsewhere.

Steve

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2012, 01:07:48 AM »
Steve, I usually just apply the finish coat of paint next unless I'm doing woodgrain decals or lozenge, then I spray clear gloss.  I almost always use lacquers.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2012, 01:48:38 AM »
Bud,
   I got a step by step from Chris on this technique and hope to use it on my Albatros Build. I previously have done the "standard" Pre-Shade method with good results however given the dark purple/green upper wing and lozenge lower on this one I reasoned your "Post-Shading" approach would work better. Also an all black fuselage.
  I'm having trouble accessing pastels, no Art Supply source within 200 miles. The only ones I could get is a very basic set of ten sticks (labeled Artist's Oil Pastels),pricey and a lot of colours I'll probably never use. I am going to try two alternate routes: I have some modelling pigments (powder) and reason they should work; I also picked up several Artist's coloured pencils intending to grind them down (Prismacolor brand and not cheap as well!) Any thoughts and/or advice on what you think might work would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Lance :-\

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2012, 10:07:26 AM »
Bud,

Lots to learn from this thread: beautiful job!
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2012, 02:24:45 PM »
Bud,
   I got a step by step from Chris on this technique and hope to use it on my Albatros Build. I previously have done the "standard" Pre-Shade method with good results however given the dark purple/green upper wing and lozenge lower on this one I reasoned your "Post-Shading" approach would work better. Also an all black fuselage.
  I'm having trouble accessing pastels, no Art Supply source within 200 miles. The only ones I could get is a very basic set of ten sticks (labeled Artist's Oil Pastels),pricey and a lot of colours I'll probably never use. I am going to try two alternate routes: I have some modelling pigments (powder) and reason they should work; I also picked up several Artist's coloured pencils intending to grind them down (Prismacolor brand and not cheap as well!) Any thoughts and/or advice on what you think might work would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Lance :-\
Lance, I just started ordering from these guys and they are great.  Really reasonable and you can order individual sticks at $2 US each.  Don't have to buy a set that includes colors you'll never use.
Cheers,
Bud