Author Topic: Another WNW kit is gone  (Read 2415 times)

Offline Fokker boy

Another WNW kit is gone
« on: December 13, 2014, 02:22:07 PM »
And another WNW kit is now sold out.

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/product?productid=3039
Kevin

(30 years ago I started off with nothing, and I've still got most of it!)

Offline ALBATROS1234

Re: Another WNW kit is gone
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 02:35:32 PM »
good i got one of those too. the w.29 is the only one i didnt get thats sold out. not including the duellist with the dh-2 and eindecker

mike in calif

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 02:46:44 AM »
Glad I have my two!

Offline Fokker boy

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 07:08:28 AM »
Glad I have my two!

Lucky dog. At least I finally got the long OOP Hobbycraft (Clerget) Camel.
Kevin

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 07:23:41 AM »
Never had one, never wanted one, I am very happy with my Roden Sopwith triplane.

See here for a full build log;  http://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/page19.html

Des.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 07:39:55 AM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Fokker boy

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 07:35:39 AM »
I had one, but sold it as soon as I heard of the (at that time) pending WNW kit. Now I have neither, but that's OK too, as I'm not really a big fan of British stuff anyway.
Kevin

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 08:47:00 AM »
I had one, but sold it as soon as I heard of the (at that time) pending WNW kit. Now I have neither, but that's OK too, as I'm not really a big fan of British stuff anyway.

What's the matter, you prejudiced against aircraft that are nothing but PC-10 and serial numbers?! ;D
Honor Necessity

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 09:04:33 AM »
You are correct Richard about the scale length of the fuselage, but I made my model as the prototype Sopwith Triplane which the kit was designed from, problem solved. I know that there is a replacement fuselage available, somewhere.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 09:14:19 AM »
All is not lost!  Look at the kit instructions, there are parts not used in the issue(kit 32008) I'll bet it will reappear in (3-5 years) in a future "Duellist" boxing (Like the HB W.29)  or as one of the "special" editions.  Be patient, good things come to those who wait .
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline boggie

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 09:53:35 AM »
You are correct Richard about the scale length of the fuselage, but I made my model as the prototype Sopwith Triplane which the kit was designed from, problem solved. I know that there is a replacement fuselage available, somewhere.

Des.

Greetings all.  :)

http://www.fawcettmodelsandpatterns.co.uk/1-32-scale-resin-detail-correction-parts.  12 quid.

Brian now has his own website.

Info provided to me courtesy of Rowan and Sabine.

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 09:58:33 AM »
You got there first! I was about to add the very same link ;)

And say that it is indeed a very nice set, very good value, and Brian provides excellent service.

Mark

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 10:16:57 AM »
Eric - we've got them covered too, now! Seen our PC10, 12 and linens range? ;)
Nice save - Des! The tripehound is a beautiful aircraft whichever way you look at it - such a shame about these "sold out" Wignuts kits....

Regards, Richard
Oh yes, I have.  BTW, I have yet to partake of your products, but I fully intend to.  Going to dip my toe into the lozenges I think first...

Very nifty segue, Richard ;)
Honor Necessity

Offline Fokker boy

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 11:25:37 AM »

What's the matter, you prejudiced against aircraft that are nothing but PC-10 and serial numbers?! ;D

That is the problem, yes. For the most part (though certainly not all), the Brit subjects are just a bit bland for my taste.
Kevin

Offline rowan broadbent

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 10:33:42 PM »
I know we get worried when another WNW kit goes out of stock but really, this is nothing unusual for a model producer; take any manufacturer you care to name from Airfix to Zvezda, their catalogues and stock availability continually change as production runs sell out (as an example, try to find a retailer with the recent Airfix 1/24th Typhoon in stock!). In many cases the kits reappear after a time - often with different markings and boxes.

WNW have stated (not sure when but near the start of the operation) that the kits will not be available in their original form once sold out. Firstly, that's not really any different from other producers - it's just that Wingnuts have stated it - secondly, if you look at the recent WNW OAW Albatros D.V, that is in effect no different from Hasegawa reissuing their FW 190 for the nth time with different box and decals and thirdly, the demand for WNW product may be growing far quicker than they initially expected and this policy may have been reviewed.

In any endeavour where products are produced in batches (kits and... decals, for instance) production volume generally impacts markedly on unit cost, so there is an optimum production cost/stock holding cost for any given production batch volume and this must be linked to demand. If I can give a decal example: I produce a decal set in a volume which gives me the best relationship between unit cost and total cost of the run (the decals must be paid for as produced - not when sold). I balance this against what I think the expected demand will be over a period of several years and when this batch sells out I will not normally reprint until I believe that there is sufficient demand built up again. This demand is rising at an increasing rate, because the quality and success of WNW kits are growing the size of the market all the time - look at the growth of this site of Des' - many modellers joining here are newcomers to WWI aircraft modelling and almost to a man they are building WNW kits.

The main conclusion I draw is that WNW know their market size (no one else does and we can only throw out more or less wild guesses) and monitor its growth and they will surely know when the time is right to mould another batch so that the "new" customers can benefit from being able to buy an out of stock kit. Those crazy prices on ebay are a great indicator of this rising demand. Just a cautionary thought occurs: for certain kits, if the original batch was produced in very large numbers to keep down unit cost (and therefore retail price), then demand for a second run may never be sufficient for a new run volume to match the size and therefore the unit cost (and retail price), of the first batch, so a second run will be less likely.

So I'd say nil desperandum, although if you want a WNW kit (or a Pheon decal sheet for that matter!) buy it as soon as you can afford it but if you miss out it will probably be round again in a few years, so long as the market continues to grow sufficiently and the subject itself is popular enough. And for those who want to speculate on high prices when kits do go out of stock, keep your wits about you, pick the subject with care and sell your "investments" sooner rather than later, never forgetting that if you think it's a good idea, you won't be alone and demand and "SOLD OUT!"ebay supply won't necessarily always be as it has been for the HB 29....
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline gcn

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 10:42:33 PM »

Des.

Greetings all.  :)

http://www.fawcettmodelsandpatterns.co.uk/1-32-scale-resin-detail-correction-parts.  12 quid.

Brian now has his own website.

Info provided to me courtesy of Rowan and Sabine.

thanks for that I was after a wicker seat for my HC Camel i'll be starting in the new year. That has certainly saved a lot of swearing and heartache that would have accompanied any scratch building.