Author Topic: RB saw blades and scriber  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Dal Gavan

RB saw blades and scriber
« on: June 05, 2012, 07:22:47 PM »
G'day,.

These probably aren't new to all (many?) of you, but I've been using the micro saw blades and scriber available from Radu Brinzan via RB Productions (http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=10).  They were reasonably new to me and, having used them over the last couple of days, I'm very impressed.

The micro saw set I bought (RB-T023) contains six blades, shown below, and is made of etched stainless steel.  I've used the two bottom ones for plastic and also an older (ie contains lead) white metal figure.  These blades are designed to fit a standard X-Acto slim handle, having the same tang as the usual No 11 blade.  They made cutting small plastic pieces off the sprue very simple.  And on a 90mm Poste Miliaire Curassier the saw cut through a small nub of metal very quickly.  These saws are quite thin so I don't think they'd cut a harder metal, such as brass tube, without bending.  But I'll be giving that a go later and will find out.

The scriber (RB-T023) is also assembled from photo-etch and when I saw it I was a little sceptical, I must admit- it looked as if it would be flimsy and hard to control.  But I've spent some time today re-scribing a 1/48 Hasegawa Val (YES!  I also did some work on the Pfalz- the fuselage is closed up, the lower wing attached and I'm putting the eyelets into the lower wing and fuselage) and I'm very impressed with how much easier it is to use than my standard scribers (a metal working scriber and a darning needle held in a pin vice).  Like the saw blades it's designed to fit a slim hobby-knife handle

I wish I'd got around to buying these a lot sooner than I did. 

Cheers.

Dal.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 07:57:23 PM by Dal Gavan »

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
Re: RB saw blades and scriber
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 06:19:26 PM »
I've got an RB-T015 medium cut saw blade and it is very good indeed, once again these are designed to fit in a slim handle.

Cheers

Pete.