Author Topic: This has got to be some kind of record!  (Read 2614 times)

Offline eclarson

This has got to be some kind of record!
« on: June 05, 2012, 02:04:39 AM »
A WNW Pfalz D.XII, from New Zealand to my PO Box in Akron, OH, in four days (shipped 5/31, arrived today)! Through customs and over a weekend to boot.  :)

Cheers,
Eric

Offline Modelnut

Re: This has got to be some kind of record!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 10:58:34 AM »
I think they use Star Trek transporter technology. :)

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 12:19:54 PM »
Happy days Eric ;)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Flyjunkie

• wherever You go, there You are...
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 02:58:21 PM »
Yes, I'd agree that is some record.. must have caught a nice tail wind across the Pacific... ;D
"..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride.." ~~ Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 06:11:36 PM »
A WNW Pfalz D.XII, from New Zealand to my PO Box in Akron, OH, in four days (shipped 5/31, arrived today)! Through customs and over a weekend to boot.  :)

Cheers,
Eric

I'ts different in the UK, from Wellington NZ to London (11500 miles) 3/4 days, the parcel then enters the British Postal System, London to Amersham, where I live, (25 miles) 2 weeks.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline N.C.S.E

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 06:31:13 PM »
Oh dear.. time to do some serious work on that postal system I think.

Took a decent amount of time for my Fee also, barely a couple of days.
The years to come seem waste of breathe, a waste of breathe on balance with this life, this death. - W.M.Yeates

Offline gcn

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 12:36:25 AM »
I'ts different in the UK, from Wellington NZ to London (11500 miles) 3/4 days, the parcel then enters the British Postal System, London to Amersham, where I live, (25 miles) 2 weeks.

Cheers

Pete.

And not only that they manage to put on VAT and a handling charge.

Offline Pete Nottingham

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 02:27:18 AM »
Just had a letter today from Parcelforce, it's cost me a further £19 for VAT and handling charge, the Fee should be delivered Monday.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 05:21:40 AM »
Just had a letter today from Parcelforce, it's cost me a further £19 for VAT and handling charge, the Fee should be delivered Monday.

Cheers

Pete.

Pete,
    Is the "VAT" a Customs thing or Handling etc. charge? I sure don't envy you folks in the UK for paying that sort of mark-up. Here in the Great White North I pay WNW, they ship, and it's mine!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline wunwinglow

• Flying Start Swordfish Build, in progress
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 07:36:38 AM »
This is normal in the UK. Our glorious leaders need to get their perks money from somewhere....

Tim P

Offline Pete Nottingham

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 05:53:32 PM »

Cheers

Pete.

Pete,
    Is the "VAT" a Customs thing or Handling etc. charge? I sure don't envy you folks in the UK for paying that sort of mark-up. Here in the Great White North I pay WNW, they ship, and it's mine!
Cheers,
Lance

Hi Lance, the VAT is a Government Tax on virtually everything in the UK and as there is no Vat in New Zealand we then have to pay the tax via Customs and Excise when an item comes in to the country, this is done by Parcelforce which is a branch of Royal Mail, who charged me £11 VAT + £8 handling charge for the pleasure of doing it.
You just don't realise the amount of tax we are landed with and have to pay in the UK these days.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 12:19:43 AM »
Thanks Guys; I feel fortunate that we have only a 5% GST in Canada although each Province has it's own PST added with the exception of mine, Alberta, where Oil and Gas reigns supreme and the royalties preclude (for now) the need for an additional tax. I consider the WNW Kits a tremendous bargain given the free shipping, no extra charges, and the price comparison with the competing brands. Ordering from the U.S. however is a different story. If I don't specify to send the order with the US Postal Service and it goes Fedex etc a "broker" gets involved, clears Customs on your behalf, and then charges Duty on behalf of the Gov't and a healthy handling fee. This recently clawed $42 out of my wallet on a $39 order!
You have my sincere sympathy and, uncharacteristically, I'll focus on the positive aspects of my situation!
Cheers,
Lance