Author Topic: Mike Taylor/MisterKit Paints, etc.  (Read 3094 times)

WarrenD

Mike Taylor/MisterKit Paints, etc.
« on: December 08, 2014, 02:33:19 AM »
Forumites,
                I've been out of the loop for some time now, and in that time some providers for our addiction have come and gone. Aeroclub sadly springs to mind.

- Is Mike Taylor still a U.S. dealer for MisterKit paints?  If not, is there a U.S. vendor, or do y'all know of an overseas vendor you'd recommend to ship them to the U.S.?

- Over at the Aerodrome Forum there was a gentleman by the name of Doug Bauman who was producing decals. He made up a set of SOP66 decals for their Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutters in multiple scales. At the time I couldn't order them, but would very much like to do so now.  I have not been able to successfully contact him, but didn't know if any of y'all had been in touch.

Thanks!

Warren

PS: Mods, if this post is in the wrong place, please move it.

Online RAGIII

Re: Mike Taylor/MisterKit Paints, etc.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 03:07:36 AM »
Warren,
A several Months ago I attempted to contact Mike reference the paints. His reply was that he was out of stock and suggested I  order them direct from Italy. I doubt the situation has changed. As for Doug, I don't think he is active anymore in decal production but I could be wrong. Wish I had better news!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

WarrenD

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 03:10:24 AM »
Thanks RAG, I honestly can't remember who I ordered them from before Mike started doing it a few years back. I think it was Aeroclub, which means I'm SOL there too.  Too bad about Doug, I really wanted that set, but current, real life events at the time precluded my ordering them then. Guess that's the lesson when it comes to some things in the scale model world: when you see it and you like it, you'd better get it then.  :'(

That being said, anyone else here have a good, reliable source for ordering MisterKit paints?

Warren

Online RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 03:23:25 AM »
Thanks RAG, I honestly can't remember who I ordered them from before Mike started doing it a few years back. I think it was Aeroclub, which means I'm SOL there too.  Too bad about Doug, I really wanted that set, but current, real life events at the time precluded my ordering them then. Guess that's the lesson when it comes to some things in the scale model world: when you see it and you like it, you'd better get it then.  :'(

That being said, anyone else here have a good, reliable source for ordering MisterKit paints?

Warren

Warren,
Roll Models still has them listed. I checked and the one I added to my cart is in stock. Rather costly though at $5.50 a bottle! Also as I am sure you know, roll does take some time to fill orders, especially if not in stock!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

WarrenD

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 03:29:44 AM »
RAG, LOL, funny, I was just at the Roll site as you posted.  ;D  Yes, pricey, and yeah they take a while, BUT I don't have to have them any time soon as I'm just planning ahead. I do have a stash of paints, but I'll bet if I dig them out, they've dried out. I'll check anyway.
I was just wanting to support those who support us (Mike) first, nothing against Roll Models at all (or any other hobby shop), just trying to support the small independent guy.

Warren

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 07:15:55 AM »
Mister Kit in Italy do an excellent mail order service:

http://www.misterkit.com/catalog/index.php
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline radio

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 07:16:14 AM »
What is about directly order by Misterkit?
I had two times order paints directly by them.
Martin

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 07:32:56 AM »
Some countries will not allow paints to be posted by air mail (Australia is one) so they have to travel by road or sea,  you will still get them aventually.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

WarrenD

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 08:07:16 AM »
Thanks friends. I have nothing against ordering from MisterKit directly per se, but their website just has all paints listed irregardless of manufacturer (all 1200+ of them that they carry) which is kind of clunky to search. Add to that the troubles we've all seen lately of ordering paint from overseas, etc. (WEM just went belly up last week, and its most likely due to new postal regs IMHO.)  Ordering from here in the U.S. is just so much easier with some things.

Warren

Offline rolanddvi

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 11:16:47 AM »
I ordered several colors from Nordland Models a couple years ago. I don't recall any problems with ship ing or anything. It did take a little longer than from other vendors but that was OK. And the prices were very good.

Mike

WarrenD

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 11:38:38 AM »
Thanks Mike, noted!

Warren

Offline Modelnut

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 12:25:19 PM »
It's been a while since I've been to HobbyTownUSA, but I swear they had those paints on the shelf.

WarrenD

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 01:52:13 PM »
We had a Hobbytown USA about 30 mi. south of here, but they closed their doors many years ago. There hasn't been a hobby shop in these parts in some time, despite my efforts to keep them open.  ;)  Except for the occasional forays to Hobby Lobby (their stock of kits has declined to nothing in the last two years), all of my hobby expenditures are via mail order now.

Warren

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 07:17:17 PM »
I have been getting my MisterKit paints direct from Italy, Warren,
with no problems at all.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Profa

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 08:56:10 PM »
Warren, here's link directly to Mister Kits' paints on their site: http://www.misterkit.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=mister+kit&search_in_description=1&PHPSESSID=lg40fiad403i9fn72tap98fch3&x=0&y=0

Simply, I have entered "mister kit" in the search query, and got total 248 results, i.e. all their products...