Author Topic: Fokker V 29  (Read 2621 times)

Offline RAGIII

Fokker V 29
« on: December 06, 2014, 10:54:00 PM »
I have been looking at some of the Fokker experimental aircraft recently and have a question. Does anyone know of any scale drawings of the V 29? I have looked through my references and the Grey/Thetford book doesn't even give dimensions. alternatively if any of you are mathematically gifted is it possible to determine if the wing is a standard or enlarged EV wing? Best guesses are invited  ;D
I am attaching a link to a Photo sharing site that includes a photo or two and some models.
RAGIII

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=fokker+v+29&id=BBFFC6AC1298E941734B35EA757AAE21C46CC980&FORM=IQFRBA#view=detail&id=9FF3E9E5459CAF4ADE2B69EF983D376C9A9B96E6&selectedIndex=1

PS: While looking through the images just noticed Omega makes a kit. So If all else fails perhaps someone has a copy of this kit and could provide drawings or dimensions based on the kit.
Thanks
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Fokker V 29
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 12:09:24 AM »
Have to guess that it is not simply an EV wing, or an EV wing with increased span -- just increasing the span would hurt the roll rate I would think -- the way Fokker did things it wouldn't be hard for them to whip up a new wing with increased chord and span to suit the heavier airframe. But -- this all falls into the baseless speculation category -- I have been wrong plenty of times before :)

Anyway, cool project -- WNW conversion?

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 02:06:33 AM »
Have to guess that it is not simply an EV wing, or an EV wing with increased span -- just increasing the span would hurt the roll rate I would think -- the way Fokker did things it wouldn't be hard for them to whip up a new wing with increased chord and span to suit the heavier airframe. But -- this all falls into the baseless speculation category -- I have been wrong plenty of times before :)

Anyway, cool project -- WNW conversion?

Thanks for the input Bo. My thoughts were leaning towards a larger span and cord also. Not a WNW conversion though that may be tempting down the road. It may come down to building a larger wing that looks right if no one has the Omega kit to get dimensions from.
RAGIII

Offline Mossie

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 05:46:53 AM »
Source: "Germany's Fighter Competitions of 1918, by JAck Herris":
Span: 9.68m
LOA: 7.02m
Height: 2.93m
Empty weight: 632kg
Loaded: 861kg
Wing area:14.3m2

So compare to D.VIII:
Span: 8.34m
LOA: 5.866m
Height: 2.82m
Empty weight: 405kg
Loaded: 605kg
wing area: 10.7m2

So size is larger, weights higher as you would expect for a bigger and heavier engine.

The book also contains a scale drawing of the V.29 in 1/48th scale.
Gerry "Mossie" Mos

Mossie3DCAD
"Prompt & Precise"

https://www.facebook.com/gerry.mos.9

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 06:37:38 AM »
Source: "Germany's Fighter Competitions of 1918, by JAck Herris":
Span: 9.68m
LOA: 7.02m
Height: 2.93m
Empty weight: 632kg
Loaded: 861kg
Wing area:14.3m2

So compare to D.VIII:
Span: 8.34m
LOA: 5.866m
Height: 2.82m
Empty weight: 405kg
Loaded: 605kg
wing area: 10.7m2

So size is larger, weights higher as you would expect for a bigger and heavier engine.

The book also contains a scale drawing of the V.29 in 1/48th scale.

Thanks for the info Mossie! I obviously don't have that book! Greatly appreciated.
RAGIII

Offline Beto

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 08:26:30 PM »
Note also that the complete lower section of the fuselage is different from the D.VII. Also the controls arrangement, wing struts and even the undercarriage. I have done a bit of research about the V.29 and it's not a simple D.VII conversion. Still trying to get to a conclusion to the enlarged D.VIII style wing chord...

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 11:17:51 PM »
Much like the Fokker D.III, which at first glance appears to be little more than an E.IV with two wings, but once you dig into it you discover they share virtually nothing beyond general construction techniques and design philosophy...

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 03:25:04 AM »
I guess I really need to get that Harris book! Seems my hope for saving a certain DVII kit may need to be altered, or at least re thought!
RAGIII

Offline Beto

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 11:58:07 PM »
My own interpretation of the V.29 profile differs in some points from Greg's plans featured in the Herris book. After carefully checking the few available pictures of the V.29 I think the nose panels are exactly the same of the standard early Fokker built D.VII and the bottom of the fuselage aft of the cockpit is not absolutely flat, but shows a slight curve. Note also that the controls must be similar to those of the D.VIII, not the D.VII. The lower horn of the control column protudes through the bottom of the fuselage.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 09:18:01 AM »
Thanks Beto I am going to send you a PM reference the Herris book drawings.
RAGIII