Author Topic: Fokker E ii/iii  (Read 1437 times)

Offline jmpsebring

Fokker E ii/iii
« on: December 03, 2014, 03:10:10 AM »
Brand new plane person here with 5 decades of building cars,painting figures. The WNW Fokker will be my first plane model. Seems like most are building the beautiful versions that come with the kit. I might do the same. But were there dozens of planes with different color bands?   Are there AM companies selling sheets of decals for the Fokker Eindeker? Please excuse any rookie mistakes with my terminology ;)

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Fokker E ii/iii
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 03:19:49 AM »
The Fokker Eindecker was a early war airplane, and generally served its useful life before the birth of the Jagdstaffeln with their colorful unit and personal markings. Therefore most of the historically accurate schemes are going to be rather bland in comparison. I'm not aware of any AM sheets for the WNW Eindeckers, but I could be wrong.

But --- the great thing about WWI modeling is that there are many unknowns. You can pretty much paint your model any way you please and nobody is going to be able to say it wasn't so. Maybe implausible...

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 03:29:15 AM »
Welcome to the forum. :D You have picked a great aeroplane to start with,
even with a bland colour scheme! ;D I am looking forward to seeing your
choice and build.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Fokker boy

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 04:31:18 AM »
I had the same dilemma when I began my E.II; a dearth of schemes that differed little, one from the other. I ultimately elected to go with the OOB Crailsheim scheme. But with any of them, a fair mount of staining and some mud splatters, and they're all cool. Plus, it's a wing warper, so how can you go wrong.

If I do another, it'll be the Fokker grey Udet machine.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 07:30:18 AM by Fokker boy »
Kevin

(30 years ago I started off with nothing, and I've still got most of it!)

Offline jmpsebring

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 04:47:20 AM »
thanks for the responses :) I'm not above building for fun.... if it's at least plausible.
I  look at this 'simple' plane and see a style and design that reminds me of 60-70's Porsche prototypes. Lightweight, tube frame, minimalist design....and effective.  Easy to see how picking just one scheme can be a challenge!

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 09:24:12 AM »
The Eindecker is a great kit to begin with. The rigging is straightforward and out in the open. Not too difficult and a lot of help and advice is to be found right here on the forum.

I suggest you approach the Eindecker from the historical perspective. The Wingnuts Wings schemes are all based on early, important machines. I'd suggest you pick a pilot and do his plane. But, as was mentioned earlier, there are many variations and I'm certain that whatever color scheme pleases you, you will enjoy building this kit. I've done one, and have another one in the queue.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline jmpsebring

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 12:00:43 PM »
Thanks and I might very well do the blue stripe on the gray or the yellow on the dark yellow as in the kit. Both are beautiful. I googled/youtube  the plane, went to the various sites looking for decals but saw none. Exactly the opposite with the albatross.  That's when I figured I would ask those that know.
  As I was looking at the WNW site and saw the finished plane built by Dirk?....I went from "why would I build this, to must build this."    This should help me learn the techniques. I already know I will build the AEG IV next if I find this enjoyable.  Actually ..going over this site and seeing everyones WIP threads has me excited as I wait everyday for tracking updates from the post office. What's my favorite model? The next one 8) 8)

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 12:39:14 PM »
  As I was looking at the WNW site and saw the finished plane built by Dirk?....I went from "why would I build this, to must build this."

Dirk's excellent and informative build log is here on the forum, if you haven't found it yet, holler and I will give you a link...

Windsock / Albatros Productions publishes a Fokker Eindecker Compendium in two volumes which would be a very useful reference for you build...

Offline jmpsebring

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 09:26:14 PM »
I did see Dirks build here and it was one of the reasons I joined. Since then...I saw your 100+ page WIP and again, this is the place to go if you want to learn the models and the subject!!