Author Topic: Grounded......  (Read 1891 times)

Offline Whiteknuckles

Grounded......
« on: December 02, 2014, 06:35:29 PM »
I was on holidays on the far south coast of Eastern Australia at a lovely coastal town called Merimbula a couple of weeks ago. We decided to walk along a beach rockshelf scrambling over rocks, rockpools, cliffs and sandy areas. Just as we reached the beach proper, my son called me over to see something he'd found and BANG.....twisted my ankle quite severely.... :(
After much cursing and with my better half's support, I managed to limp back (across a soft sandy beach, up a cliff and 500m or so along a road) to our accommodation, iced my ankle and raised it, etc, etc.

A week later, (back at home by this time and having been walking/limping on ankle all the time) went to the physio who poked prodded and did her thing then suggested a precautionary xray to check for any bone damage........which I did and from where I was sent to casualty with a lovely fracture of my lower Fibula.... :o

Anyway, now I'm in a support boot and will have to remain in one for the next couple of weeks - not good for a Fire Fighter!!
Can't lift things, can't run, can't jump, can't take the boot off if i'm walking..  >:(

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Nigel Jackson

Re: Grounded......
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 07:54:37 PM »
!!! Andrew!!!

Sorry to hear about your accident and wish you well for a speedy recovery. Over here we've not long finished the physiotherapy following my wife, Ena's accident at the seaside.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 08:13:44 PM »

Anyway, now I'm in a support boot and will have to remain in one for the next couple of weeks - not good for a Fire Fighter!!
Can't lift things, can't run, can't jump, can't take the boot off if i'm walking..  >:(

But can model though I hope?

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 08:40:05 PM »
Wishing all the best for your speedy recovery, Andrew.  ;)
Take it easy.

VB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 08:46:22 PM »
Sorry to hear of your unfortunate accident Andrew, Merimbula is a beautiful place but now it will hold bad memories for you. I hope you have a speedy recovery, the bush fire season is just about upon us so we will need you fully mobile.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 10:18:51 PM »
Sorry to hear of your misfortune, Andrew.  I guess you will
have to content yourself modeling and tending small fires,
like the Barbeque. ;D  Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline IanB

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 11:51:12 PM »
Best wishes for a speedy recovery. You'll just have to pass the time at the bench, I suppose, with a tinny!

Ian

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 02:45:15 AM »
Wow, Andrew!  You walked around on that fracture for a week?  Here's hoping the Doc can put it right for you.  Get well soon, mate.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 05:21:03 AM »
Sorry to read about your misfortune. That must have been very painful if your were walking around on it for a week. Hope that it gets better soon and without too much more pain.

And as others have written, you will have to take things bit easy - at the modelling table of course.

PS at least you have an intact arm to raise a glass.

WarrenD

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 04:32:46 AM »
So sorry Andrew, but now you can sit back and model, or do some reading/research, right?  I hope your recovery is short sir.

Warren

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 05:44:23 AM »
Here's wishing for a speedy recovery. I recall, from about fifty years ago, Victoria Bitter is a powerful restorative.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 02:36:32 PM »
Thanks one and all for your messages :)

....can model though I hope?
Unfortunately not my friend, my modelling is on the backburner at this point due to other reasons...but you never know... ::)

....Merimbula is a beautiful place but now it will hold bad memories for you....
No not really Des, Merimbula will always be a great spot!!

....the bush fire season is just about upon us so we will need you fully mobile....
Yes - and all this rain and the high humidity will mean lots of lush growth up and down the coast....
I'm back at work on light duties studying for my Hazardous Materials (HAZMAT) Technicians Course - I transferred to Shellharbour Fire Station recently which is a HAZMAT station (I much prefer Haz to Rescue which I did at Wollongong). So that's keeping me busy for the moment and yes, we do respond to bush/grass fires if need be :)

....but now you can sit back....do some reading/research, right?
Warren, all my modelling is done vicariously through this site at the moment but I love reading about everyone's builds, their solutions, snippets of history and the tone of conversation here  ;) :)

....Victoria Bitter is a powerful restorative.....
Yes it is Eindecker, however my restorative of choice is Coopers Pale Ale or any James Squire beer - I can heartily recommend both after very extensive, very deep and continuing field trails ;) ;D

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice