Author Topic: 1:32 Albatros D.III, Jasta Boelcke  (Read 7785 times)

Offline Fokker boy

Re: 1:32 Albatros D.III, Jasta 17
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 12:39:59 AM »
Anyway, if you are interested, this book is a good primer on the development of the Alb D.III and the differences between those built by the three manufacturers:

http://www.amazon.com/Albatros-D-III-Johannisthal-variants-Vanguard/dp/1782003711/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1417429171&sr=1-1&keywords=albatros+d.iii

Yep, I have that one too, just never got around to actually reading it yet, but now I will, so thanks for that.
Kevin

(30 years ago I started off with nothing, and I've still got most of it!)

Offline Fokker boy

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 12:45:08 AM »
In Rodens defense they do make all of the "Major changes" necessary in their OAW version of the DIII, kit # 608. The only company to do so to date!  8)
RAGIII
[/quote]

Interesting. I had no idea they even did an OAW machine. Since this kit was gifted to me, I'll just go ahead and build it as is; no need to spend more cash if it's not absolutely necessary, and for me, it's not.

Thanks much, fellas,
Kevin

Offline Fokker boy

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 12:50:02 AM »
After reflecting on this a bit, I may just choose a different scheme, (if I can find one I like). I suspect after a while It might start bothering me to know that I was building the wrong version of the aircraft. I'll hunt through my references again, and see if anything stands out. I'll also have a look at the Pheon set Dave pointed out; perhaps there's something cool there.
Kevin

Offline Fokker boy

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 02:24:59 AM »
One option of course would be the Werner Voss machine, but that one's been done to death already, so I'll keep looking I guess.
Kevin

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2014, 09:07:54 AM »
One option of course would be the Werner Voss machine, but that one's been done to death already, so I'll keep looking I guess.

I don't know Kevin, done to death or not the Voss Machine  is a cool scheme  ;D Finding the decals could be problematic although I think Life Like may have the scheme in production. Just be sure to choose an early DIII with central radiator like the kits. Bleu Maus is one (I think).
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2014, 09:09:20 AM »
I agree totally Rick. new fuselage halves, cowls/cockpit opening undercarriage and upper wing to note a few.
I still think all things considered the Roden Albies stand up well all things considered
(I'm not biased at all of course... Me an Albiefanatic...ummmm. ;D)

Keith

Ummm, I am right there with you...
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline drdave

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2014, 09:38:27 AM »
It's your lucky lucky day Kev. I have those Voss decals spare. I'll chuck then in too.

Offline Fokker boy

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2014, 11:31:02 AM »
You're a good man. Dave. I'll figure out some way of reciprocity.
Kevin

Offline Fokker boy

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2014, 11:35:25 AM »
This one looks very doable, but there are a few others that I'm also looking at as well.

Kevin

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2014, 11:56:29 AM »

Nice choice...

Ltn Gerhard Bassenge, Jasta Boelcke 2219/16 :)

Spinner was definitely  black, wheel covers too, probably/maybe. Note the stripe is on the upper deck as well -- it's shown on your profile but easy to miss -- very narrow. The Jasta B black stripe in front of the white tail is noticeably wider than depicted in your profile.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2014, 12:04:21 PM »
Dave doesn't think the stripe is really on the upper deck, having looked at the photo again, I tend to agree -- anyway, I think he has it nailed here:

Offline Fokker boy

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2014, 12:11:34 AM »
That's a great looking rendition, Bo. While we're on the subject,... dark green, light green and venetian red wing uppers, with all three colors on each lower wing uppers as well? That's what the Osprey book says for Johannisthal machines anyway. The illustration on the cover (Voss), is what I'm referring to.
Kevin

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2014, 12:24:05 AM »
That's a great looking rendition, Bo. While we're on the subject,... dark green, light green and venetian red wing uppers, with all three colors on each lower wing uppers as well? That's what the Osprey book says for Johannisthal machines anyway. The illustration on the cover (Voss), is what I'm referring to.

Wait, I'm confused -- are you talking about Bassenge's plane (2219/16, above, or Voss's D.III with the Hearts?

Bassenge's plane is thought to have the three tone on upper wing surfaces (top and bottom).

Voss' machine is a can of worms --most people agree the upper wing was replaced as the radiator starts off in the center and later appears offset like on OAW built machines. There is a whole chapter of Voss's plane in the Miller D.III book cited earlier. Paolo did a great Roden 1/32 build of Voss's D.III about a year or so ago here and received a lot of great input as to the probable markings. It's worth reading the log:

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=1836.0

Offline Fokker boy

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2014, 12:57:13 AM »
Well, generally speaking, I was asking about the generic D.III colors, that's all. Most illustrations of D.III's that I've seen, seem to be these three colors (uppers), with the actual color shades/hues interpreted by the artist or modeler. I just want to make sure that I reflect some sense of reality.

Mostly I'm curious about the bottom wing uppers, since they never show in plan view drawings. Were just two, or all three colors used there, (per wing)?

Kevin

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2014, 02:45:05 AM »
I think this is pretty typical for d.iii three color upper surfaces, but as they say, check your references :)