Author Topic: 1/48 Pfalz D.III Comments  (Read 1199 times)

Offline Jimmy

1/48 Pfalz D.III Comments
« on: December 01, 2014, 05:51:00 AM »
Hi Folks,

I'm working on a 1/48 Eduard Pfalz D.III.  It's the first 1/48 WWI kit I've worked
on for many years.  I have a few observations on this kit I'd like put present to
the group for your comments.

I've finished the cockpit and engine and have closed up the fuselage.  The instructions
have you affixing the little access doors and strut attachment points.
I used CA glue to attach these pieces, and several have come off during the handling
of the model.   The lesson to be learned here is to glue these things on as late
in the building as possible.

These photoetch parts stand out from the fuselage.  Photos show these being flush with
the fuselage.  I'm not sure how you would fix this.  This seems to be detail that is
better represented on the Glencoe/Aurora Pfalz.  As far as the Glencoe Pfalz goes, I'm
thinking that not too much work could be put into it to make a decent D.IIIa
Of course, there are probably other inaccuracies with that kit that I don't know of.

Back to my current build...  The difficult part begins - the struts and the rigging.

I'm about to enter the wonderful world of turnbuckles, as it looks like the Pfalz has
turnbuckles on each end of its rigging wires.  I've found several sites that talk
about how to make your own turnbuckles.  I see turnbuckle experimentation in my future.
I'll also look into buying some aftermarket turnbuckles, I'm sure.  Any advice would be
welcome.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 09:52:30 AM by Jimmy »

Offline nmroberto

Re: 1/48 Pfalz D.III Comments and RFC
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 09:45:39 AM »
Gaspatch turn buckles are very nice if you don't mind spending about as much as you paid for the kit for them.  In 1/48 scale you really cant see too much of the turnbuckles so home made ones would probably work out just fine. 
Robert

Offline Jimmy

Re: 1/48 Pfalz D.III Comments
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 09:06:53 PM »
I looked at the Gaspatch items.  They looked pretty small.  I'm definitely going to try my hand at scratch building some first.

Offline nmroberto

Re: 1/48 Pfalz D.III Comments
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 07:01:30 AM »
Des has a how-to article on making your own turnbuckles on the home page.
Robert