Author Topic: Strut tapes on French aircraft  (Read 1123 times)

Offline lone modeller

Strut tapes on French aircraft
« on: December 01, 2014, 03:54:09 AM »
 I have recently been taking a very close look at the Farman Longhorn as I steadily test my patience while I try to rig it. One thing struck me was the small strips of tape on the struts and booms. What were they for? I notice that most French aircraft of the WW1 period had them, whereas other nation's machines did not. Apart from driving later generations of modellers mad trying to reproduce them, what purpose did they serve? I am sure that they were not ornamentation as the time and cost of putting them on must have been considerable. Does anyone know why they were put on? Can anyone shed any light on this question?

WarrenD

Re: Strut tapes on French aircraft
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 04:23:59 AM »
LM,
     I always assumed they were for reinforcement of the strut as I cannot see that they would serve any other purpose. You're right, other a/c from other nations did not use them. Why?  I've no idea.

Warren

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 05:17:53 AM »
Other countries wrapped the entire strut.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 07:37:09 AM »
Those tapes were meant to hold the strut together in the event of a bullet strike.  They prevented the subsequent split from spreading up the length of the strut and possibly coming apart all together.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 03:30:23 AM »
Those tapes were meant to hold the strut together in the event of a bullet strike.  They prevented the subsequent split from spreading up the length of the strut and possibly coming apart all together.
Cheers,
Bud

I had thought of this possibility but was not certain whether this would work on reality. I know of instances where struts were damaged destroyed on biplanes but the pilot managed to get back but this seems to be the logical answer with Rob's answer that other countries wrapped the whole strut.

Many thanks for the replies - much appreciated.

Offline petrov27

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 05:27:16 AM »
maybe a stupid question, but were these wood struts one solid piece of wood? Or were they two halves joined over a metal core? Or laminated like a prop?
-Patrick