Author Topic: Roden 1/48 scale early Fokker built D.VII, Willi Gabriel  (Read 8993 times)

Michael Scarborough

Re: Roden 1/48 scale early Fokker built D.VII, Willi Gabriel
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2015, 12:07:53 AM »
So, Bud, how does it feel to go back to 1/48 after having worked in 1/32? I realize one of the Tripes was 1/48 but I wonder if your foray into the larger world has given you any thoughts about staying in one scale or the other.

Looking really good, dude.

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

What a great looking interior.

That's what the doc said after my last colonoscopy.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2015, 03:17:10 AM »
Thanks so much, guys!  The BEAM pe really is quite extraordinary.
I love it. Those interior parts add a lot of Detail (and life) to the Fokker. How do you plan do do the streaking? Using oils (the classical method), or decals?

Stefan
Not quite sure yet, Stefan, though I'd better decide soon since I find myself at that stage in the build.  I've got the Microsculpt decals and some from Gunsight Graphics, but I'd like to try my hand at with the oils.  Maybe a combination.

looks great bud,nice d.vii and i must agree that the beam set is got some welcome parts in it and is well worth the cheap price,although i can seem to get the louvers to look right.
Scott, the trick is to not press too hard with the ballpoint pen.  That pe is really thin so just one quick swipe with the pen is all that's needed.

So, Bud, how does it feel to go back to 1/48 after having worked in 1/32? I realize one of the Tripes was 1/48 but I wonder if your foray into the larger world has given you any thoughts about staying in one scale or the other.
Micheal, I really love the WNW kits, but I'm not sold on 1/32 scale in general.  I'm still a huge fan of 1/48 scale and will continue to build in that scale as long as my eyes permit.  Since I'm still married and plan on staying that way, space is a consideration.  A man's gotta do what he's gotta do.
What a great looking interior.
That's what the doc said after my last colonoscopy.
Now that I'm on Medicare and it doesn't cover everything, I've started doing my own.  I picked up one of these and it's relatively cheap compared to the cost of a colonoscopy.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-9-5mm-M-Spector-AV-Inspection-Camera-Kit-2312-21/202196534?N=5yc1vZc2gmZzv
I must say, though, that it's not as much fun as I thought it would be.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline radio

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2015, 04:38:11 AM »
So a lovely interior Bud.
Martin

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2015, 04:48:44 AM »
Thank you, Martin!  You did some fantastic things with the BEAM set, as well, my friend.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline BigBlue

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2015, 11:16:02 AM »
Now that I'm on Medicare and it doesn't cover everything, I've started doing my own.  I picked up one of these and it's relatively cheap compared to the cost of a colonoscopy.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-9-5mm-M-Spector-AV-Inspection-Camera-Kit-2312-21/202196534?N=5yc1vZc2gmZzv
Cheers,
Bud

LOL! 

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2015, 07:05:50 AM »
The fuselage is all closed up and primed.  I also managed to get the engine mount and forward fuselage framing completed.  Because my last Roden D.VII had a completely enclosed cowling, this is the first opportunity I've had to build this little sub-assembly.  Gotta say, although fiddly, it fits together beautifully and will work out well with the BEAM cowling sides.  Based on it's complexity and accuracy, I think this is really how Roden intended this kit to be built.

Still have some touch-up and weathering to do on it.  I used BEAM pe radiator front and back.
Next, I'll attach the frame to the fuselage and do the streaking.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline radio

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2015, 09:38:41 AM »
Bud this is with the Roden kit easier than with the Eduard.
Very wounderful work.
Martin

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2015, 10:50:07 AM »
Cheers,
Bud

You ordered the wrong one, dude. This was the one I suggested specifically for you:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stockmaster-Stock-prod-by-Parmak-Cattle-Prod-USA-made-NEW-IN-BOX-29-long-/400814419937

Online RAGIII

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2015, 02:36:21 PM »
Bud,
Outstanding update! Looking Superb as always! I am looking forward to seeing your Streaks!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2015, 02:41:06 PM »
Beautiful work as usual Bud, looking forward to the next update.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2015, 11:00:55 PM »
Excellent work as usual, Bud.  I am looking forward
to your next updates. I'm glad you haven't given up
on 1/48th.  It seems very agreeable with your talents,
my friend. Onward and upward. ;) :D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2015, 01:04:04 PM »
Well, folks, didn't get this one done in time for the GB finish, but work continues on her never the less. 
Thanks for the wonderful comments, guys!  They keep me motivated.
The side panels from the BEAM set fit perfectly, however the seam on the "fabric" portion is inevitable.  I would have to choose the only variant to use it.
Puttied.

Sanded.

With an eye toward expedience, I decided to use Microsculpt decals instead of oils for the streaking.  I wanted to try and replicate what I've seen here and on the WNW site, so I chose to go over the Microsculpt with Gunsight Graphics streaking to give it more color variation.

I used Eduard loz decals to cut the templates.

Cheers,
Bud

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2015, 01:31:11 PM »
that looks so freakin great bud. you probably remember the thread on the drome that had the photos of the actual d.vii streak fabric and this kind of variation was evident. great idea.

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2015, 01:53:26 PM »
Thanks, Scott!  I remember that thread well.  That's the look I was going for.  I was lucky to have those sheets around.  The Gunsight Graphics is hard to come by, now.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2015, 02:12:12 PM »
ive never used streaky decals, but the combo looks great, great that the gunsight must be on clear decal paper.