Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Roland CII  (Read 5250 times)

Offline Flip Hendrickx

Wingnut Wings Roland CII
« on: October 28, 2014, 08:29:29 PM »
After a short break from WW1 aircraft, I've decided to give this one a go :-)

As per instructions, I started work on the cockpit. For this one I wanted to give the Uschi Van Der Rosten wood decals a try.
They are extremely thin and careful handeling is necessary in order not to break them during application.
I started out by airbrushing the different wood panels separately, each time using a different shade of beige.
Since the decals are transparent, the background colour will show through and will provide for some color variation in the woodwork.

After applications of the decals, I've sealed everything with tamiya clear varnish.
Next, the fuel tank was airbrushed in shades of grey and the electricity conduits where painted with acrylics (life color and vallejo)
Pin washes & shading were done with Van Dyck Brown oil paint.

As I wanted to replicate a worn black leather look on the seat, I studied many pictures before setting out to work.
Using life color acrylics I tried to paint the light and shadow effects that you usually see on a seat like that.
The colours used are: Burnt black, Light skin tone, sand, matt black and red.

Now I hope I can repeat this effect on the seat in the back as well :-)

Grtz

Flip
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 08:38:14 PM by Flip Hendrickx »

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Wingnut Wings Roland CII
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 09:39:59 PM »
Love that seat ! Will be following along as you progress ..

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 10:53:32 PM »
Beautiful paint work Flip! ;D  Thast seat looks like it's made out of worn leather!  Can you please describe your painting technique in a little more detail?  Thanks.  Very well done.

Cheers,

Bob

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 10:56:42 PM »
Wooden floor and leather seat - top class! Looking forward to see it progress.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 10:58:14 PM »
Superb work!

Yes, please explain your techniques for the seat, it's marvelous.

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 12:06:04 AM »
Ooh yeah, that seat is brilliant.

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 12:12:10 AM »
Wow, what a great start, Filip.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Adam

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 12:23:13 AM »
The pilot's seat and wooden floor looks wonderful.

Adam

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 12:44:37 AM »
Flip,
 You have been awarded 'Painter of thrones'
Collect your prize below  :D ;)

Beautiful work.
vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline andyw

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 02:53:08 AM »
I would also like to add to the chorus of 'how did you do that seat?'

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 03:07:19 AM »
Lovely work. I'll follow with interest.

Keith ;)
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline radio

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 03:12:00 AM »
Very well painted Flip.
Martin

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 05:19:49 AM »
Great start, Filip!  I really think your woodgrain is first class, but your
painting of the seat is amazing!  It doesn't get any better.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 05:54:08 AM »
Due to overwhelming acclaim, perhaps we shoud pronounce Flip the official Chairman.....

Offline Flip Hendrickx

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 08:46:24 AM »
Thank you for the kind words gentlemen :-)

And of course I'm more than happy to share my technique for painting leather with you. Simply said, I'm using techniques that are used by figurine painters. Make sure you check out work by Mike Blank, Jaume Ortiz, Marijn Van Gils, Diego Ruina and the likes via Google. There are numerous tutorials to be found on the net on the subject too.( another good source is www.planetfigure.com)

I've painted up the cushion of the back seat tonight and took some pictures along the way. Now, bare with me, because I had to use my smartphone camera and it doesn't give the best results.

As I said, I'm using life Color (LC) acrylics but you can achieve the same effect with any kind of modelling paint (oils, enamels, other brands of acrylics,..)
Here it goes:

STEP 1
As a first step, we put the base coat on the cushion. Since we will be building up the layers of paint, it's important to start with a relative light base coat.
In this case I've mixed up LC weathered black and light skin tone.
At this stage it doesn't matter if the layer is completely opaque or not.

(Maybe a little word on this: When lightening up colours, never use white. It will 'kill' the colour. If you want a grey colour, you can mix up black with skin tone colour. This will give a warm grey result. If you want a cold grey result, you can use very light blue for instance. Try it out. You'll notice the difference compared to mixes with white.
The same goes when you want to darken a colour. You can add dark red or dark brown for instance instead of black.)

STEP 2

We are going to add some highlights & shadows now.
For the highlights, we use the base colour + some extra skin tone colour. for the shadows the base colour + dark brown. (you can mix up different batches with different shades if you like, if you want to add more variety.
Note that, from now on, I dilute the paint until it has the consistency of milk. The idea is to 'layer up' the paint. Make sure your brush is not wet, but damp with paint. A way to do this is to load up you brush with paint and tip it against a piece of kitchen towel for instance.
Start out with the highlights. You don't have to work very accurately here. When you are happy about it, you can add the shadows.

STEP 3

In this step, started to paint in some more structure and wear. For this I've used the base colour + light sand colour. The idea is to put a 'glaze' over the previous paintwork.
You can use several layers until you are satisfied with the result.
I've also painted the edges of the cushion with very diluted sand colour, to replicate the wear.

STEP 4

Now it's time for a glaze or filter (very diluted paint) of Van Dyck brown oil paint, mixed up with a bit of Humbrol pale red. This layer will tone down the previous effects and will leave a brownish hue.
The picture is not sharp but I hope you can see the result clear enough.

STEP 5

Now it's time to add scratches  etc. We do this with a very fine brush and highly diluted paint.
For the light scratches I've used the first base colour + a lot of skin tone colour for the dark shadow next to the scratch I've used a mixture of brown & black. The key is to dilute the paint enough and to apply it with a very fine brush.
The effect can be a bit too strong at first, but as a last step we apply another layer of highly diluted oil paint.

Et voila: a worn leather cushion :-)

I hope this step by step was useful to you. Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any more questions.

Grtz

Flip
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 08:51:03 AM by Flip Hendrickx »