Author Topic: Posting in "Under Construction"  (Read 17771 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Posting in "Under Construction"
« on: October 24, 2014, 06:59:39 AM »
If posting a full build log could you please, at the beginning of the build, include photos of the box top of the kit you are building, maybe photos of the sprues and the decals, this would give the other members a chance to see what the kit is like that you are actually building. I am not making this a forum rule but it is a suggestion that was put to me by a forum member, so,  if you have the time to do this it would add so much more to the build log.

Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Des.  Administrator.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 07:38:42 AM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Re: Posting in "Under Construction"
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 07:40:02 AM »
I think it is a good idea, Des. However, taking additional photos maybe discouraging, so would it be enough to post a link to the manufacturer website, where usually the sprues are photographed?
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 07:46:46 AM »
Thanks Przemol for your suggestion, as I said, it is not a forum rule so it will be left up to the individual if he/she wants to add the extra photos, a link to the manufacturers website could be deemed as advertising though, just a photo of the box top would be sufficient, at least this will give the kit manufacturer, the scale and the aircraft type plus show the markings.

Des.

Offline radio

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 08:22:00 AM »
Will it also posible to resin kits?
Martin

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 08:26:54 AM »
... a link to the manufacturers website could be deemed as advertising though, just a photo of the box top would be sufficient, at least this will give the kit manufacturer, the scale and the aircraft type plus show the markings.

Point taken, Des.
I suppose, however, that this would be worthy in the case of less known kits. Probably, posting the WNW kits boxes will be pointless. :-)
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 09:13:14 AM »
I can do that  8)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 09:21:00 AM »
Like I said, entirely up to the individual, this is only a suggestion.

The same could apply to Vac and Resin kits.

Des.

Offline Spodger

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 09:01:03 AM »
I agree with this and they'll be the easiest pics you take during the build. I'm a new born modeller (38 years abstinence) and not finished my first kit (but I have pics of the box and sprues :)) but I've read loads of build logs and the ones that start with the cockpit half or fully completed are very unsatisfying.

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 09:32:12 PM »
I agree with the proposal made by Des, IMHO adding the pics of box and sprues is a good start to begin a WIP, sometimes there are considerations that are made just after opening the box and can be useful for everybody if they are shared. I agree also to leave the decision to each of us, that's freedom!

Thanks Des.

Antonio

Offline KitRookie37

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 04:35:13 PM »
Hello to all,
I agree with you, it would be helpful. In a french forum I haunt (Master194  ;)), there is a special place for it: opening box.
Best regards.
Alain.
Use the force, Luke.

Offline ondra

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 07:58:14 PM »
As a scratchbuilder I can not contribute really much on this issue, but from my point of view this might be worth a separate section, like "have a look into the box".

By doing so, the photos of the sprues could appear on the forum with much higher frequency. Let's be honest, the delay between the kit purchase and the build start is sometimes quite long. ;)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 08:29:06 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input, some really good points have been made.

I think a few simple photos of the box top and the sprues would be quite adequate for the purpose, just to give a general feel of what the kit is that is going to be built, anything more than this could be seen as a kit review which is totally inappropriate for the "under construction" board.
Remember, this is not compulsory, only post photos of the box top and sprues if you have the time and the facilities to take the photos.

Des.

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 11:40:05 PM »
As a scratchbuilder I can not contribute really much on this issue, but from my point of view this might be worth a separate section, like "have a look into the box".

By doing so, the photos of the sprues could appear on the forum with much higher frequency. Let's be honest, the delay between the kit purchase and the build start is sometimes quite long. ;)

As a scratchbuilder, you could put up some photos of your raw materials..  It is amazing how folks can transpose plastic and brass strips and tubes, aluminium foil, paper etc into the end product.  That would also help inspire those of us who have yet to dive into scratchbuilding.  For example I can modify/repair/replace components to a limited extent, but a whole model?  I haven't dared try yet!

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2016, 05:46:03 AM »
There is a separate board for scratch builder, a place where scratch builders can show off their builds, but it is not a hard and fast rule that a scratch build has to been shown there, it can be posted in the 'Under Construction' board if you wish. All of my scratch builds plus many others have been posted in the 'Scratch Builds' board.

Des.