Author Topic: WNW Fokker OAW DVII Fuselage Stitching  (Read 2795 times)

Offline Trackpad

WNW Fokker OAW DVII Fuselage Stitching
« on: October 20, 2014, 11:00:03 PM »
Hi,

I got my WNW OAW DVII fuselage built, including the strip along the lower surface that carries the fabric stitching. But it just didn't seem right: the strip did not want to fit flush with the undersurface (maybe my fault) and I could not confirm the stitching method portrayed. I'm in the process of filling and sanding the undersurface smooth and then replicating either the kit stitching effect in some other way (to be determined) or the "real" stitching if I can pin it down. Any thoughts on this aspect of the build will be most appreciated. TIA!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Online RAGIII

Re: WNW Fokker OAW DVII Fuselage Stitching
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 08:31:34 AM »
I don't think I have managed a good fit on any of my 3 builds  >:( Sadly I haven't gone to the lengths you are attempting. Just sanded and filled as much as I could.)  8) One good source for stitching is Archer. They make resin decal stitching in 1/32nd and it looks awesome. I know Roll Models carries it but be prepared for a wait if they are your source.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 11:11:39 AM »
Hey, RAG and RB,

Thx for the feedback. Yes, I was directed to Bo's photos earlier today. Thing of it is, the fabric on the underside appears to be one solid piece: the loz pattern does not break along the fore/aft centreline. So there is no requirement for the stitching, although it is there. I have no idea why unless it's an attempt to show the stitching pattern that should be there, but isn't. Any ideas on this?

"I haven't gone to the lengths you are attempting." Well, the length I'm attempting isn't that long, really. I simply ground off the "stitch strip," then filled the area with Milliput (both yesterday), sanded that out today, then primed, found a few minor glitches, filled with Mr. Surfacer 500, and I'll sand that out tomorrow. Then a coat of white and we're all set (maybe Wednesday) for the chaos and panic of decalling! Meanwhile, back at the hangar, I'm cutting out decal patterns from the WNW sheets, Dullcoting the cowling panels, painting the radiator and then fitting the RB front rad panel...lots to do when you're really waiting for paint to dry!

Geez, I've got a bunch of Archer decals and other bits and bobs, but never twigged to their resin stitch offering. I'll check that source out just as soon as I finish this posting. Thanks for the wakeup call!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 11:27:11 AM »
Gary,

I can't vouch for the way the lozenge lines up perfectly on either side of the laces on the Paris Fokker -- it may be the restoration team got carried away -- but I can tell you that there is supposed to be a openable seam there as the purpose of the lacing was to allow the innards of the rear fuselage to be accessed for maintenance without recovering. The fabric was sewn to the longerons and doped taut on sides and top; the bottom was laced tight. This was typical Fokker practice starting with at least the Dr.I (probably earlier, too lazy to get up and look at the moment... jet lag ;) )

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 12:00:39 PM »
Gary,

I can't vouch for the way the lozenge lines up perfectly on either side of the laces on the Paris Fokker -- it may be the restoration team got carried away -- but I can tell you that there is supposed to be a openable seam there as the purpose of the lacing was to allow the innards of the rear fuselage to be accessed for maintenance without recovering. The fabric was sewn to the longerons and doped taut on sides and top; the bottom was laced tight. This was typical Fokker practice starting with at least the Dr.I (probably earlier, too lazy to get up and look at the moment... jet lag ;) )

Thanks for the explanation, BO. This pretty much gets me headed in the right direction on the stitching question. You'll be over the jet lag in no time: much easier travelling east to west rather than the opposite direction. Welcome home!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 12:16:19 PM »
You'll be over the jet lag in no time: much easier travelling east to west rather than the opposite direction. Welcome home!  8)

Funny you should say that, I always find it much harder to recover getting home... been back since late Friday and I'm still not quite into my normal rhythm... Tomorrow I think will do it...

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 02:46:35 PM »
I will venture that with the need to produce as many airplanes as possible especially the D7 nobody cared very much about whether the lozenge lined up perfectly.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 02:57:37 PM »
Take a poke around the *Aircraft* section here on the forum. Theres some excellent shots of  various DVII's incl the RAFM's I think you'll find what you are looking for and more.

Yes it's easy to miss whats under your nose. I do it allways  ;)

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 02:03:20 AM »
Thanks, Eindecker and KB,

Yes, that's what I meant to say: the two pieces of fabric would not usually, if ever, line up exactly. The photo shows a complete piece of fabric, which was not used on the a/c of the day (see BO's post above). So it looks as if the refinishers simply took a solid piece of fabric, fitted artificial "stitching" to it, and slapped it on the a/c. Not a good idea, IMHO!  ;)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 02:19:29 AM »

Yes, that's what I meant to say: the two pieces of fabric would not usually, if ever, line up exactly.

unless of course it was slit after it was cut out... visible opening here and the pieces again line up nicely:

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 03:14:15 AM »
Good point, Bo.  One wonders how many more permutations and combinations we can find in this subject. Hmmm...why do I feel as if I've opened up a very large can of worms here...   :D  ;D  :D
Cheers!
Gary

Offline Jim

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 05:41:14 AM »
...Yes it's easy to miss whats under your nose.

Keith

That's why I find tissues useful ;)
Woof!

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 04:09:35 PM »
I will venture that with the need to produce as many airplanes as possible especially the D7 nobody cared very much about whether the lozenge lined up perfectly

Agreed; and I think that it was of very minor importance, if at all, Camouflage-wise, as the underbelly is such a small part of the aircraft - compare that with the Tarnstoff that was applied onto the wings, whre nobody ever cared for the lozenges to match. Why should they suddenly do so for the area below the fuselage?

Stefan

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 07:31:14 PM »

Yes, that's what I meant to say: the two pieces of fabric would not usually, if ever, line up exactly.

unless of course it was slit after it was cut out... visible opening here and the pieces again line up nicely:

But that's not one complete panel cut and stitched either, the lozenge pattern doesnt follow through. I'd imagine to try to do that would be more labour intensive, cutting, seaming, and adding tape and eyelets to it once complete!

That is excellently matched though but of course restored where both time and cost are not paramount as they would be on the production line.

One point of interst I saw as I studied the above pic is that under the leather reinforcements around the cable openings theres an extra layer of fabric doped in Close inspection shows it. Just for all you AMS sufferers to think on ;D

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 07:36:13 PM »
There must be plenty of period photos of flipped over D.VIIs to study...