Author Topic: My Next builds after the DVII. 56 Squadron SE5a and this..  (Read 2854 times)

Online RAGIII

My Next builds after the DVII. 56 Squadron SE5a and this..
« on: October 19, 2014, 11:42:07 PM »
I will be doing a dual build of 56 squadron birds. The Encore SE5a in McCuddens Markings and this:

Rowan has released decals for a 56 squadron bird which are a MUST HAVE ;D  Also need to get the Engine Nacelle fix and some instrument dials.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline petrov27

Re: My Next builds after the DVII. 56 Squadron SE5a and this..
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 01:19:32 AM »
Wow - very cool - this is truly an amazing time for 1/32nd scale models even beyond WW1 subjects - so many new kits like that Meteor!

Cant wait to see your build on McCudden's SE-5a - are you going for the earlier SE that he flew or the later with the red nose on it?
-Patrick

Online RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 01:26:12 AM »
Yes it is an amazing time for 1/32nd Modelers! The Meteor kit has a few shortcomings but overall is a really well done model. As for the McCudden bird still up in the air although I am leaning towards the earlier one. Also need to choose if I go really early before the bulged cockpit or after?
RAGIII

Offline petrov27

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 01:53:12 AM »
I have plans to build McCudden's bird at some point also but have been a little confused on the bulged cockpit and where it applies and if to both of his SE or not. At one point I collected all I could find from the Aerodrome - unfortunately I seem to have lost those notes! :(

-Patrick

Online RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 02:34:10 AM »
I have plans to build McCudden's bird at some point also but have been a little confused on the bulged cockpit and where it applies and if to both of his SE or not. At one point I collected all I could find from the Aerodrome - unfortunately I seem to have lost those notes! :(

I will probably open this up to more discussion when I start the build but my take is that 4893( Going from memory on the number) did have a bulged cockpit. Exactly when it appeared is another matter. The one shot of it seems to show no bulge but is distant and not real clear in the cockpit area. The other shot, ( also identified in at least one publication as 4891), clearly shows the bulge.

I am attaching a link to rowans sheet containing the 56 sq. markings for the Meteor. It is the second of 2 now available!

http://www.pheondecals.com/-32055-gloster-meteor-fmk-4-vol2.html

RAGIII

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 05:08:45 AM »
Hi Rick

Good luck with the tandem build. The Meteor kit certainly looks the works.

Best wishes
Nigel

Online RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 05:15:26 AM »
Hi Rick

Good luck with the tandem build. The Meteor kit certainly looks the works.

Best wishes
Nigel
Thanks Nigel, I will post some sprue pics of the meteor here when I get to it. As I feared my memory wasn't good. The earlier SE5a serial number was 4863 not 4893...DUH!

Offline radio

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 05:22:05 AM »
Great Rick will watch this.
My next is the Brandenburg W 12 from Copper State.
Martin

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 12:32:20 PM »

I will probably open this up to more discussion when I start the build but my take is that 4893( Going from memory on the number) did have a bulged cockpit. Exactly when it appeared is another matter. The one shot of it seems to show no bulge but is distant and not real clear in the cockpit area. The other shot, ( also identified in at least one publication as 4891), clearly shows the bulge.

I am attaching a link to rowans sheet containing the 56 sq. markings for the Meteor. It is the second of 2 now available!

http://www.pheondecals.com/-32055-gloster-meteor-fmk-4-vol2.html

RAGIII

Rick, Petrov,

I spent a lot of hours researching this and found most of my notes this morning when I first saw this post. This was early on my return to the Hobby,wish I'd discovered shading then................

This is the WNW Kit with conversion bits from the Roden/Encore release. There's a lot of mis-information out there however I believe I got it sorted out in the end. I'll try to provide a summary tomorrow.
Cheers,
Lance

mike in calif

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 03:03:32 AM »
The Meteor kit is very nice, with the basic premise being an accurate outline and shape, with lots of "wiggle room" for the aftermarket lads to do their thing. Paul Fisher has made some very nice resin bits for different marks, and there are also aftermarket decals available. We 1/32 scale modellers are truly in a great place with so many new kits coming out; the stuff we used to sit and dream about over a pint....

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 03:29:27 AM »
Rick,
    Photos of McCudden's SE5a's have been mis-captioned in many of the more common Publications we have access to. Perhaps not "news" to you and Petrov but he flew two personal mounts while with 56 Sqn, B4863 and B4891. B4863 was the first one he had modified with the "bulged" cockpit, had a headrest, and carried the call letter "G". B4891 had a pronounced Bulged cockpit, no headrest, carried the same "G" letter, and eventually had the LVG red spinner added. The "G" was replaced by the number "6" when 56 Sqn. changed from letters to numbers on 29 Dec 1917.
   Although the foregoing is pretty straight forward I had a heck of a time sorting it all out, between the Osprey titles (56 Squadron and SE5 Aces), the Datafile, and the Albatros Pubs SE5 / SE5a Squadrons books there are identical photos labeled as one or the other with the resulting confusion as to configuration and features. Also the style of radiator (cooling vane alignment) gets thrown in as well.
   As for the Models, the Roden Kit as redone by Encore has the resin cockpit options for B4863. If, like I did, you choose to use the WNW Kit as the base for either of the tail numbers the resin cockpit enclosures don't fit. The solution is the Squadron True Details Conversion Set which works beautifully.
   After all the angst I went through trying to sort out this issue I thought I'd give you a heads up on the possible pitfalls; my Build Log is over on the Aeroscale Vintage Aircraft Site, just search SE5a L. Carroll if you want further details.
Cheers,
Lance

Online RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 09:22:12 AM »
The Meteor kit is very nice, with the basic premise being an accurate outline and shape, with lots of "wiggle room" for the aftermarket lads to do their thing. Paul Fisher has made some very nice resin bits for different marks, and there are also aftermarket decals available. We 1/32 scale modellers are truly in a great place with so many new kits coming out; the stuff we used to sit and dream about over a pint....
Yes very correct assessment of the Meteor kit! I already have it planned to get the Fisher Engine Nacelle conversion to correct the shape mishap on the kit. I also have planned as stated to get the Pheon Decals for 56 sq. In addition I need to pick up some instrument decals....
RAGIII

Online RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 09:27:59 AM »
Rick,
    Photos of McCudden's SE5a's have been mis-captioned in many of the more common Publications we have access to. Perhaps not "news" to you and Petrov but he flew two personal mounts while with 56 Sqn, B4863 and B4891. B4863 was the first one he had modified with the "bulged" cockpit, had a headrest, and carried the call letter "G". B4891 had a pronounced Bulged cockpit, no headrest, carried the same "G" letter, and eventually had the LVG red spinner added. The "G" was replaced by the number "6" when 56 Sqn. changed from letters to numbers on 29 Dec 1917.
   Although the foregoing is pretty straight forward I had a heck of a time sorting it all out, between the Osprey titles (56 Squadron and SE5 Aces), the Datafile, and the Albatros Pubs SE5 / SE5a Squadrons books there are identical photos labeled as one or the other with the resulting confusion as to configuration and features. Also the style of radiator (cooling vane alignment) gets thrown in as well.
   As for the Models, the Roden Kit as redone by Encore has the resin cockpit options for B4863. If, like I did, you choose to use the WNW Kit as the base for either of the tail numbers the resin cockpit enclosures don't fit. The solution is the Squadron True Details Conversion Set which works beautifully.
   After all the angst I went through trying to sort out this issue I thought I'd give you a heads up on the possible pitfalls; my Build Log is over on the Aeroscale Vintage Aircraft Site, just search SE5a L. Carroll if you want further details.
Cheers,
Lance

Thanks again lance! I think we will re open this discussion in an ON Topic thread when I get the Fokker Done  8) As you said, lots of Misidentifications in some sources. I must say that for the bulge in 4863 I am not too sure about the Encore parts. Looks a lot like a two seater turret to me. I go back and forth on that point, sometimes I think with the headrest it will be OK and Sometimes I don't! Like I said the conversation will be good to have in an ON Topic Thread later.
By the way, I remember that build of yours, Aeroscale wasn't it?
RAGIII

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 12:32:02 PM »
Rick,
   Aeroscale it was, and forgive the near hijacking of your Thread. Just don't like to see anyone get lured down a "Bunny Trail" if I can provide help. For now, as an aside, that Meteor must be huge!
Cheers,
Lance

Online RAGIII

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 07:35:37 PM »
Rick,
   Aeroscale it was, and forgive the near hijacking of your Thread. Just don't like to see anyone get lured down a "Bunny Trail" if I can provide help. For now, as an aside, that Meteor must be huge!
Cheers,
Lance

Lance,
I greatly appreciate your input on this thread so no "Hijacking"  from my point of view  ::) It will most likely be pushing the New Year when I get to these so rather than having pertinent info buried in the underground I am hoping we can have this discussion again plus more in one of the Appropriate sections. The Meteor is sort of large compared to your average WW1 fighter. Probably not as large of a wingspan as a Fee though!
RAGIII

RAGIII