Author Topic: Swastikas  (Read 1725 times)

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
Swastikas
« on: October 09, 2014, 06:07:56 PM »
A friend, who recently got back into aircraft modelling, mentioned that the new Airfix and Revell kits for WW2 German aircraft that he has bought do not contain swastikas in the decals.

I have just bought a Revell Albatros D.III, which is supposed to be decalled as Werner Voss's machine. In books and the internet Voss's Albatros has a white swastika on the sides but on the dceals it is a plain white cross.

Does anyone know the reason for this? Is it some kind of company policy of the manufacturers, or is the swastika somehow outlawed due it its association with the Nazis?

Edited for typo
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 05:18:28 AM by Squiffy »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Swastikas
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 06:31:27 PM »
I built the Wingnuts Pfalz D.XII and used the scheme 1394/18, Jasta 77b, July 1918 which has the Swastika on the side of the fuselage. I realise that the Swastika had a different meaning back then, it was classed as a good luck symbol, but it is still a Swastika all the same.

The Wingnuts Albatros D.Va depicting 7237/17, Lothar Weiland Seefrontstaffel 1, July 1918 also has the Swastika displayed on the side of the fuselage.

Des.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 06:36:41 PM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Dekenba

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 06:39:49 PM »
It's illegal in Germany to use Swastika's. Revell in particular don't use them, especially Revell of Germany.

Offline Jim

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 08:06:50 PM »
I can understand why flags, shirts, caps, etc bearing swastikas and other Nazi paraphenalia should be banned, but decals seems a step too far. After all, the whole point for modellers to try to represent their subject matter as close to the real thing as possible.
Woof!

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 08:21:24 PM »
I never had a problem using them on models...just part of the markings, but then
I don't live in a part of the world that had to live under the Nazi's rule.  The rules
being what they are don't bother me.  There are easy ways around it for our use.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Dekenba

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 08:54:52 PM »
It's not a problem. There are no swastika model police in Germany who ensure they are not used on models & they are not difficult to get hold of, it's just that the big model companies - especially those based in Germany or with a major German presence - decide to quite wisely abide by the laws of the land.

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 11:02:24 PM »
I don't think you would get into trouble at a German model show with a WWII aircraft with swastika markings, for historical accuracy - perhaps someone here can confirm that?

Some kits have the swastikas cut diagonally in half, others have none.  I bought a sheet of swastika decals from Hannants in the UK a few years ago, to provide markings for Revell's 1.72 He-111.  There are plenty on the sheet in a variety of sizes.

Offline Cimmerian

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 12:10:18 AM »
I did hear that you're not allowed to display a model bearing swastikas in public in Germany.
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

Offline jknaus

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 01:34:07 AM »
Unfortunately any use of the Swastika in Germany is forbidden. I understand the reasoning, but dont agree with the ban only because making something forbidden will cause people to want it more. Its sad that such an ancient symbol got perverted by the Nazi party. Just in case someone is wondering this wikipedia page has a good write up of the history http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika
One thing that I wonder though is if there would be allowance as the symbol on that Alby is the original shape, while the WWII symbol is at 45 degrees.
James

PS I think I have seen some get away with applying these to a model by sticking a square of paper on to display in public.

Offline radio

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 03:39:11 AM »
I can use them at home and in English speak Forum, but not in a German. That is like Germany. Our costom take them out if they control the kits.
Martin

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 03:57:59 AM »
The ramifications of this do go quite some way: the swastika symbol was used as national markings in blue by the Finns, and in red by the Latvians for a while; and all over the shop in its good luck symbol form. If the 1920s-30s market was bigger, the issue would be even more prominent. For myself I've noticed swastikas eg. on the wheel hubs of FAA planes.

A little more back on topic: the contortions they go into with decals can be frustrating. I'm looking forward to building Roden's ski-equipped SPAD VII, but of course one option is a Finnish machine. Unfortunately they decided to provide two 'crooked S' shapes to make up each swastika, which means double thickness blue in the middle. Not too difficult to remedy, but still.

As jknaus points out, the actual Nazi swastika was distinctively oriented at a 45 degree diagonal. I guess it's inevitable that the ban had to cover all swastikas. But I've just picked up a Special Hobby Fokker D.XXI in Finnish markings, and wouldn't you just know it, while the decals are ingeniously split up into jigsaw pieces, the box cover painting plainly shows the correct blue Swastika on the side of the plane.

Mark

Offline nmroberto

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 01:48:25 AM »
A while back I bought a 1/32 scale Hasegawa BF109 and it had the swastikas included in the decal sheet, but the instruction sheet did not show them, had a blank space on the drawing where they would go.   Who knows what they were thinking.

Robert
Robert