Author Topic: When did Roden decals become acceptable?  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Procopius

When did Roden decals become acceptable?
« on: October 07, 2014, 03:33:25 PM »
I've built two Roden 1/72 kits now, but as I'm about to come into a largish number of their WWI kits in 1/72, I was wondering if there was a particular kit after which their decals improved; I had a rough time with their Fokker D.VII (late) Goering boxing a while back.
"Kill the sods, the Hunnerinoes, at all costs. Anywhere and everywhere!"
-- Major Keith "Grid" Caldwell, 74 (Tiger) Squadron

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: When did Roden decals become acceptable?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 03:39:49 PM »
I have built all of the Roden 1:32 scale WW1 aircraft kits and right from the first one to the last one all their decals have been very touchy, I managed to use them all without having to make substitutes but it was touch and go some times, they are very brittle and they don't like certain decal set solutions. I don't know what their decals are like on the 1:72 scale kits but I am presuming they are the same.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Procopius

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 03:47:56 PM »
I don't know what their decals are like on the 1:72 scale kits but I am presuming they are the same.

Pretty much, I'm afraid.

Well gosh, that's a disappointment. I had thought I read somewhere they improved in their later kits. I guess, given the baleful state of aftermarket WWI decals in 1/72, I'll just have to muddle through.
"Kill the sods, the Hunnerinoes, at all costs. Anywhere and everywhere!"
-- Major Keith "Grid" Caldwell, 74 (Tiger) Squadron

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 04:43:39 PM »
I have had a lot of luck using Mr Mark Softer, then when the decal is patted down I hit it with heat from a hair dryer, this seems to work well for me.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 03:44:38 PM »
what it seems like to me is that roden had inconsistancies with the clear decal film. if you have a bunch of roden kits take them out and look at the decals at an angle to a light source and you will notice that some have a splotchy clear film. in spots the film is so thin as to be non existant and much thicker in other places. i noticed this a couple years ago. so now when i get to that point in a roden build i use micro decal film which is just what it says. you spread it evenly with a brush on decal surfaces and in 20 min you have fortified decals. so far any roden decals with the splotchy film have performed ok if i do this. i also spray testors rattle can clear gloss and it held them together. so to me its a fixable situation.