Author Topic: Charlie Chaplin Plane  (Read 2409 times)

Offline patrickw55

Charlie Chaplin Plane
« on: October 02, 2014, 08:32:35 PM »
I foudn this great image of a Belgian Plane decorated with the image of Charlie Chaplin as "The Tramp"

You can find more images like this at www.illustratedfirstworldwar.com

Offline Nigel Jackson

Re: Charlie Chaplin Plane
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 09:39:41 PM »
Wow, that's fascinating Patrick. Thanks for posting it. I think the tramp personna didn't appear in film until mid-1914, so someone was quick off the mark. I wonder if there are any other aircraft that included similar images.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 10:34:41 PM »
I believe that this Farman was in the Belgian Air Force.  Look here for some more great photos of the nose art on Belgian Farmans:

http://www.belgian-wings.be/Webpages/Navigator/Photos/MilltaryPics/Markings/Farman_f40_&_f60/farman_markings.htm

I have a Belgian Farman on my long-term scratch build list. :)  It will be a few years though, unless Lone Modeler's Longhorn really gets me motivated! ;)

Enjoy!

Regards,

Bob

WarrenD

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 09:15:42 AM »
Wasn't there a Sopwith Camel with a Chaplin image?

Warren

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 09:21:35 AM »
Wasn't there a Sopwith Camel with a Chaplin image?

Warren

Arthur Cobby, AFC:

Story

WarrenD

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 07:52:38 AM »
That's the one!  When I first saw this message thread, I thought it was going to be about Cobby's a/c, and not a Farman. I was pleasantly surprised.

Warren

Offline youngtiger1

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 04:51:44 PM »
Are their any decals of these aircrafts with Chaplin nose art?

Mike

WarrenD

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 09:11:10 PM »
Mike,
         I want to say that at some point in the past there was a Camel kit produced that came with the Cobby decals, but I can't be positive. As to the Farman, I don't think that one's been done.  I could very well be wrong though.

Warren

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 01:23:42 AM »
I do not know about a kit with the Cobby markings but there was a VERY OLD IPMS USA convention decal sheet that included the markings for the Camel, Guynemers SPAD XIII, and a Jasta 18 Raben DR1. in 1/28th scale for the Revelle kits.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline petrov27

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 02:21:16 AM »
Theres a Brisfit with Chaplin nose art also - very cool scheme and one I want to do the WNW kit up in.
-Patrick

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 10:28:50 PM »
Mike, Aussie Decals/ Nova Scale do a set with Cobby's Chaplin Camel E1416 in 1/28, 1/32, 1/48 and 1/72 scales (http://stores.ebay.com.au/Novascale-Hobbies/_i.html?_nkw=Camel&submit=Search&_sid=377247789).  The 1/32 sheet I have is under the Aussie Decals brand and looks OK, but I've yet to try the decals.  I have had problems with other sets from Aussie/Nova (heavy moire patterning and/or new decals breaking up in water- I always test first, now), but I've also had older sets that were as well printed and well behaved as Rowan's decals.

They may be worth getting just for the Chaplin markings (they look close to the photo's), mine are wellprinted and clear.  But try another decal off the sheet before using the Chaplin markings, just in case.

Cheers.

Dal.

PS  The Aussie Decals versions are at http://www.modelkitsonline.com.au/pages/main/search.php?Category=Aust+Decals&Make=Aussie+Decals&Scale=1:32&Search=
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 10:38:26 PM by Dal Gavan »