Author Topic: Curtiss Hydroaeroplane  (Read 30509 times)

Offline Wolf

• The challenge is in the scale
Re: Curtiss Hydroaeroplane
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 05:29:42 PM »
This is better than any blockbuster at the cinema!

A model thrives on its overall impression and not on that every little disagreement over the original is hyped up as a disaster

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 03:10:58 AM »
Got my popcorn.  Let the show begin... 8) 8)

Dan

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 11:37:10 PM »
This is going to be a treat . Hope Dan share's the popcorn !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline KitRookie37

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2014, 03:03:21 PM »
Hello to all,
Show must go on... ;)
A great project. It will be amazing, I'm already impatient.
Is this a real color picture of 112 ? Awesome !!
Do you use Archer rivets or Rosie the riveters on your main float ?
Best regards.
Alain.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 03:09:07 PM by KitRookie37 »
Use the force, Luke.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 11:05:08 AM »
Thanks very much for all the encouragement, hopefully I will live up to the standards you expect from me  ;)

Alain - the picture is the painting from the front cover of the book I have, it is an excellent painting, and the rivets/screws are simulated just by pressing a sharp pointer into the styrene sheet.

I started this build by making the main float, it is constructed of 0.50mm styrene sheet, the bulkheads are added for rigidity. The plans appear as though the finished model will be tail heavy so I filled the forward two compartments of the float with weights, I glued the weights in then added the top of the float. As this float was covered with plywood I will give the float a wood look. The two forward lugs are for the float mounting pin which connects to the engine beams. The bottom of the float has three skids, these are made from 1.0mm x 1.0mm square stock.

The engine beams are made from 1.0mm x 1.5mm styrene stock, the front end was rounded then a brass tube fitted and shaped, it was flattened the drilled to take the float mounting pin. I also fitted the foot rest, this is made from 1.0mm brass tube with some brass sheet brackets and brass nuts fitted, this foot rest still need to have two throttle pedals added. The engine beams will sit at an angle of 24º once mounted permanently.

Glenn Curtis also invented and perfected the twin control column/wheel which is used on his Hydroaeroplane, I made this using various sizes of brass tube, some watch parts, brass sheet and styrene sheet, once completed it was painted with Gunze black and the wheels painted Gunze sandy brown, it has also been coated with a clear coat. The control cables still need to be added.

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 02:25:05 PM »
very nice des, i am a ref hound and i collect books and lit on planes i very often think of you when i come across plans for some odd early kite and wonder "i bet des would love to build one of these" one of these days i will send you an envelope with some stuff.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 02:39:03 PM »
Absolutely stunning work on the float hardware and that steering system is mind-blowing.  You are the brass-master!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline KitRookie37

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 03:16:04 PM »
Use the force, Luke.

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2014, 06:04:02 PM »
Amazing!

As seaplane lover I'll follow this closely  ;D

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2014, 02:11:07 AM »
Off to your usual OUTSTANDING beginning! The float and steering gear are awesome!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2014, 02:23:17 AM »
Great stuff Des!  This will be a charming and beautiful model, as always. :D

Cheers,

Bob

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2014, 09:18:41 AM »
Thanks very much for all the kind comments, they are much appreciated.

I added some colour to the float by first base coating with Gunze H313 yellow acrylic then add the wood colour with Raw Sienna oil paint with a touch of Liquin added, once it was dry I gave it a coat of Humbrol clear orange. I assembled the main engine beams and the seat support, also added the two cross braces to hold the lower wing retaining frames, all the brass bits will be painted black then the entire assembly given a coat of satin clear. I made good use of my heat box to dry the oil paint, the float was completely dry within 24 hours.

Des.

The plan in front of the float is the 1:32 scale plan that I resized and printed from the book. The coloured picture is the front cover of the book to give me a wood comparison colour and the enlarged front view on the right was to allow me to colour the different frames for clarity.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2014, 10:20:58 AM »
Spectacular as always! I Love the honey wood tone you have created!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2014, 10:23:11 AM »
Oh, man, that is lovely!  Very tasty.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2014, 08:31:26 PM »
Thanks Rick and Bud for your kind comments.

The brass bits have been painted and the whole float assembly has been sprayed with a clear coat. I added the twin control columns, this is held in place with two pins which pass through the main engine beams.

Des.