Author Topic: Beardmore 120hp engine in Museum of Victoria, Melbourne  (Read 1383 times)

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
Beardmore 120hp engine in Museum of Victoria, Melbourne
« on: September 29, 2014, 05:36:30 PM »
From the Museum of Victoria in Melbourne

Summary
The Austro-Daimler was one of the first successful in-line, water-cooled aero engines developed in Europe. The design was used by combatant nations on opposing sides during the First World War. In 1912, the Austro Daimler Company allowed Arrol -Johnstone Ltd of Dumfries, Scotland, an automobile maker associated with William Beardmore & Co. of Glasgow to produce their 120 horsepower, six-cylinder engine under licence. These engines were later improved by fitting larger cylinders to produce 160 horsepower.

This engine was acquired from the Science Museum in London. It is a 120 horsepower British-built model fitted to the F.E series pusher biplanes produced by the Royal Aircraft Factory. It is fitted with two carburettors and two magnetos. It is marked 'G.W. 1022', 'W.D. 1258' and '188'.

Acquisition Information:
Loan & Subsequent Donation from Science Museum (London), 1929

http://museumvictoria.com.au/collections/items/407597/aero-engine-beardmore-aero-engine-ltd-austro-daimler-120-hp-6-cylinder-inline-england-circa-1914
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Steven Robson

Re: Beardmore 120hp engine in Museum of Victoria, Melbourne
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 07:46:32 PM »
Lovely photos Jamo, they're a great reference.  :)
Make Otto your motto for lovely spoked wheels.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Beardmore 120hp engine in Museum of Victoria, Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 03:20:39 AM »
These are the best Beardmore photos I've seen yet, Jamo!  Thanks for posting.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence