Author Topic: Flat rigging wire  (Read 2904 times)

Offline nmroberto

Flat rigging wire
« on: September 25, 2014, 09:57:11 AM »
Apparently some British AC used the flat streamlined rigging wire. Does anybody use the flat rigging wire for their British birds? 

Seems like a pain in the patoot to use, how do you use it with turnbuckles.  Is it even big enough to tell it's flat and not round?
Robert

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
Re: Flat rigging wire
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 12:02:18 PM »
Danger! Danger, Will Robinson! Flat PE wires and associated hardware constitutes another path to madness.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 12:30:58 PM »
Danger! Danger, Will Robinson! Flat PE wires and associated hardware constitutes another path to madness.

:D

Best answer! 

I have a snipe in the queue for.... someday... And I plan to attempt the They All Say It's Impossible RFC Flat PE Rigging for same... But lord knows when that will happen...

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 01:23:11 PM »
theres gotta be a way though,you hear all the horror stories of bowed pe flatwire but theres gotta be a method that works. i would think since if you move it or flip it the gravity causes wing changes  that mounting the plane to a diorama board after all the upper attachments are made then use the tire changing method(revised) where you do one side then the corresponding wire on the opposite side then back and forth being careful not to change the wing geometry. i think being severely methodical could win the day. if anyone can its you bo. not that important to me that my wires are round .

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 02:10:24 PM »
Theoretically providing a small amount of play at each end of a wire would compensate for any small dimensional changes in the model, but that has proven beyond my skills and patience.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline nmroberto

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 04:23:14 AM »
Thanks for the input, that's pretty much what I thought.
Robert

Offline szymon

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 06:22:10 AM »
Hello gentleman, Here's my idea of RFC rigging wire. I'm going to try out it on my next model DH 9. We're talking of course about 1:32 scale - in the less scale  doesn't make sense.

original

Regards Simon

Online Berman

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 06:40:17 AM »
Has anyone ever tried modifying the shape of monofilament tippet or fishing line? There are crank operated jewelry rollers that can be precisely set to any needed gap using a feeler guage. I think the gap would be slightly less than the final desired thickness to allow for any springback of the material. These jewelry rolling machines are a bit expensive to add to your tool collection but  you might find a cooperative jeweler.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 10:30:28 AM »
You can pull the mono line through rounded needle nose pliers to get your flat air flow shape ....

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline nmroberto

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 12:23:05 AM »
Szymon,

Where can I get the PE fittings shown in the photo?
Robert

Offline szymon

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 05:48:34 AM »
This is  PE from RB Productions - here's the link:
http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_68&products_id=328

And this is my idea PE - from Bristol and SE5a

Regards
Simon

Offline Derrick

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 03:53:01 AM »
Hello Simon. Do you glue both ends of the flat rigging with tubes and ez line ? I am guessing you use superglue or would an epoxy glue give a stronger bond ? Thanks for any information.

Derrick

Dekenba

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 08:59:47 AM »
Don't do it!! It's an utter nightmare, providing no structural support & being incredibly temperamental regarding weather & temperature.

WNW were going to launch PE rigging 4-5 years ago. There is a good reason they didn't.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 05:08:56 PM »
Has anyone ever tried modifying the shape of monofilament tippet or fishing line? There are crank operated jewelry rollers that can be precisely set to any needed gap using a feeler guage. I think the gap would be slightly less than the final desired thickness to allow for any springback of the material. These jewelry rolling machines are a bit expensive to add to your tool collection but  you might find a cooperative jeweler.

Sure have! And way back in 2011.
As Terri has already mentioned. 2lb Maxima fishing line passed through round nosed pliers in one smooth gentle operation will give you flat section rigging line.
Hope this helps.

VB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith