Author Topic: Spoked Wheels  (Read 1517 times)

Offline fredjocko

Spoked Wheels
« on: September 23, 2014, 10:35:11 PM »
Hi:

Not to take anything away from Steve's Spoked Wheel Shop (I wish I knew about his offering) I posted on another forum about a company in the US that makes spoked wheels. They are still in business and here is the link: http://www.scalespokes.com/shop/

They are a little pricey. They come in in 1/72, 1/48, and 1/32 and cover Nieuport 28, Dr.1, Gotha, E.III, and a mini spoke wheel. I purchased the Fokker Dr.1 set and an Eindeclker E.III set last year and some day I'll use them. The neat thing is you also get two sets of tires either grey and black or white and black.

Here are the images I poseted last year:

I have nothing to do with the company; I just wanted to share. I was the moderator on the other mentioned site for New Products and I saw these in FineScale Modeler and thought these are so cool.

Thanx,
Carl
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 07:58:13 AM by Des »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Spoked Wheels
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 12:20:36 AM »
    I have three sets of Steven's wheels and can't imagine any other brand coming close to their quality. On the other hand these Scale Spokes ones look pretty darned good as opposed to none at all, and the price is very attractive. I would or rather will order some if/when I need more.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 12:53:39 AM »
Not for me. Once you've gone purple, there's no going back. ;)

mike in calif

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 02:48:05 AM »
I can see maybe getting a set for my DH-2, but otherwise, I've got enough of the real purple to last me...

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 03:16:51 AM »
No one can top Steve's extraordinary spokes, but this is all there is in 1/48 scale.  I'll be ordering a set for a Fokker B.I project I've got in the queue.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Ssasho0

• Scale Models Club Bulgaria
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 04:50:50 AM »
As it was already said, Steve's spokes are the best and by far BUT...... the is out of business by the end of the year by his own decision and then those will be the best spokes available for te regular modeller. I think that they will notice slight increase in their business!
Best regards,
SAsho
Think globally, act locally!

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 08:48:53 AM »
I have used two sets of John's wheels, one set on my scratch built Fokker Spin and the other on the Omega Mosca MB bis, both models are in 1:32 scale. I found the wheels to be adequate for the job, they are quite weak so handling must be avoided as much as possible, great care is need to change the tyres as the fragile nature of these wheels will cause deformation of the spokes if the tyres are not fitted with care. Once painted and fitted to the model they look okay. As said earlier, these are the only wheels available now, Steven is no longer making any of his brilliant wheels so if spoked wheels are a must John's wheels are a pretty good alternative, either that or make your own.

Des.

These two photos show John's (Scale Spokes) wheels in use.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 05:21:36 PM »
Not for me. Once you've gone purple, there's no going back.

Bo,
but what do you do when all stock of the beloved purple is empty? I think you will have to turn to the next shade of purple reddish tone you can find, won't you?

S.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 09:46:02 PM »
Not for me. Once you've gone purple, there's no going back.

Bo,
but what do you do when all stock of the beloved purple is empty? I think you will have to turn to the next shade of purple reddish tone you can find, won't you?

S.

There are plenty of cool planes with skids, skis and floats. Also flying boats.  ;)

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 12:23:10 AM »
Thanks for posting the link! The comparison is "Fine Jewelry" to Costume Jewelry.... but like others have said the "Only" game in town now.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 01:33:17 PM »
they dont look to be as nice as steves stuff which to me look just like a miniature version of reality, these look decent but not quite the level of artistry but they are half the price and they are a better alternative to photoetch spokes.