Author Topic: The First of the Few, by Denis Winter  (Read 1193 times)

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
The First of the Few, by Denis Winter
« on: September 23, 2014, 07:26:32 AM »
Perhaps the most important book when it comes to understanding the air war in WWI, from the reasons why it happened at all, through the majority of flyers and observers who flew, fought and died to assist the ground war and suffered through "training" and personal, biological and climactic hardships. Yes, the fighter boys are there, but they were not the main force in the air war even though the most famous.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: The First of the Few, by Denis Winter
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 07:54:01 AM »
A good book for sure, though I was slightly disappointed after "Death's Men" which I loved; I felt the First of The Few was a bit erm... dabbling... in comparison. I didn't really feel like it broke any new ground.

Offline eindecker

• Models In Scale
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 09:00:43 AM »
I've wanted to read "Death's Men" as well. Guess I'll start the Amazon/internet search. I had no read a good detailed survey of the air war in WWI before Winter's book. I have a number of more focused works but nothing that does a good job covering all, or most, of the different aspects. Any recommendations?
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 10:49:32 AM »
I've wanted to read "Death's Men" as well. Guess I'll start the Amazon/internet search. I had no read a good detailed survey of the air war in WWI before Winter's book. I have a number of more focused works but nothing that does a good job covering all, or most, of the different aspects. Any recommendations?

Definitely get Death's Men. It is superb. Really paints a picture of life in the trenches (and out) -- the horror as well as the banality -- as well as anything I have ever read.

I am going to reread "the First of the Few." I just pulled it off the shelf. Maybe my recollection is uncharitable...

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 02:36:38 AM »
Reread this right before we left; my recollection as posted above was a bit too harsh I think. A very good book with some excellent insights.

Offline eindecker

• Models In Scale
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 04:20:13 AM »
I found Blunden's Undertones of War as a free Kindle book on the net. Personal, literate and insightful. Deliberately not overly dramatic, and all,the more so for that. I highly recommend Paul Fussell's The Great War and Modern Memory
Michael Scott

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 08:54:47 AM »
I'd also recommend: No Empty Chairs by Ian Mackersey, excellent , looks at both sides, pilots, tactics and command/procurement practices and pulls no punches !!
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.