Author Topic: Dr.1 - by request  (Read 3623 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Dr.1 - by request
« on: May 29, 2012, 03:49:52 PM »
Whitenuckles (Andrew) has asked to see photos of my Roden Fokker Dr.1 which I built way back when I first started back into modeling. This was the first WW1 model aircraft kit I built, this was before I knew about detailing or turnbuckles or anything really. It was built totally OOB but I added a pilot, he used to be a 1:35 scale WW2 tank driver, I did some modifications and turned him into a WW1 pilot, he fitted into the seat quite snuggly. The Dr.1 is brush painted, didn't have an air brush back then, and the decals are Roden as supplied in the box. This model does not deserve a spot here in the completed model section as she is pretty rough  :-[ :-[, it was a real learning curve for me at the time, I hope the photos answers some of your questions Andrew.

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Whiteknuckles

Re: Dr.1 - by request
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 04:12:00 PM »
Des,

thankyou very, very much for the photo's, of course she deserves to be here!
What's this rough rubbish - if mine turns out half as good as yours I'll be a very happy man indeed!!
I like the pilot but I wont be attempting that ;)

How did you do the rigging on this one?

Cheers and regards,

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 05:18:53 PM »
Lovely build Des and I agree with Andrew it does deserve to be here, thanks for posting.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 05:30:43 PM »
Thanks Andrew and Pete.

The rigging was done using monofilament, 0.12mm to be exact. Because this was my first model I did the drill through the wing technique, glued the line in then trimmed it off, a small dab of paint hides the exit point, the rigging is painted with Mr Metal Color Stainless.

Des.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 09:24:09 PM »
   Des,
That's one sharp looking Fokker Tripe my old friend. I'd like to see you build another sometime as a comparision of your skills then and the present.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 10:15:40 PM »
Wonderful Des. Thanks very much for sharing the Dreidecker with us. Great job with the pilot too.
You sure started off with a bang.

Paddy

P.S. And many thanks for posting and sharing all the new techniques and knowledge you've gained along
the way.  :)
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 03:37:03 AM »
Des,

Still a really good model - good brush painting as well.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline Eudgen

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 04:40:05 AM »
Interesting prototype and excellent brush painting!
I like Dreidecker, because it had minimum number of braces  :D

But you made two mistakes
- this airplane had a streaky camouflage scheme
- problem with applying decals. Both the cross of type 1 should be on the upper wing, and both the cross of type 2 should be on the lower wing.

I apologize for the criticism, it's the best of intentions to make models better.

modelmaker

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 07:29:59 AM »
Another beautiful model Des I love the pilot.

Sean

Offline N.C.S.E

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 11:35:33 AM »
Brush painted you say, wow that's a good even colour spread you have there.

An excellent model there, the first in a long series leading to this forum and the Voisin scratch build.
The years to come seem waste of breathe, a waste of breathe on balance with this life, this death. - W.M.Yeates

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 11:53:09 AM »
Thanks guys for all your kind comments.

Eudgen - The crosses were applied as per the box art on the box, the bottom surface of the bottom wing shows both types of crosses. The green on the fuselage and wings has a streaked paint finish but it is very faint and does not show up in the photos. This was my first WW1 model aircraft build so I was very naive regards the finer points of painting and schemes, I will have to build another one and do it right next time, like I said, it was a real learning curve for me.

Des.

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 02:42:37 PM »

- problem with applying decals. Both the cross of type 1 should be on the upper wing, and both the cross of type 2 should be on the lower wing.

Eudgen - that's how the box art on the front and the instructions show it, on the bottom wing at least. Can this be confirmed as incorrect?

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Eudgen

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 03:44:47 PM »
Eudgen - that's how the box art on the front and the instructions show it, on the bottom wing at least. Can this be confirmed as incorrect?

Andrew

Everything was a little harder.
The underwing crosses are very interesting. The starboard cross is a standard iron cross, but the port cross is much thicker and appears to be in the process of modification to the thick, straight black style. The white backgrounds have been painted out with a much darker color than the surrounding turquoise.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 03:52:18 PM »
Here is a photo of the box art, it clearly shows the two different types of cross, I don't know if Roden got this right or not.

Des.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 12:58:44 AM »
None the less, Des, she's a brilliant first effort.  Wish my first WWI model looked as good, mate.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence