Author Topic: Postwar Sopwith Snipe E8213 - Markings Question  (Read 2362 times)

Offline Chris Johnson

Postwar Sopwith Snipe E8213 - Markings Question
« on: September 16, 2014, 12:53:57 AM »
The following is Snipe E8213 presented to Canada from the city of Leicester on 21Jan19. I'd like to build this particular aircraft and while it appears to be painted in standard PC10, I'm wondering what colour(s) the membership thinks the fuselage band and stripes might be. As for the struts, they look like they could be the same colour as the fuselage band.

Any and all ideas welcome and if someone actually has more information on this particular aircraft, I'd sure appreciate hearing it.

Cheers,

Chris

P.S. It's odd to see a Dalmatian in PC10. Obviously a very patriotic dog.  ;D

You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Postwar Sopwith Snipe E8213 - Markings Question
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 02:20:13 AM »
Doesn't look at all like PC10 to me! Could it be silver overall?

here is another pic I found of it:

also this:

and this:

and this:

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 03:13:50 AM »
Thanks ever so much Bo! Those images are extremely helpful. Any thoughts about the underside of the wings? Could they be PC10 or again, silver dope?

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 03:18:58 AM »
Thanks ever so much Bo! Those images are extremely helpful. Any thoughts about the underside of the wings? Could they be PC10 or again, silver dope?

Cheers,

Chris

Do you mean "CDL" ? PC10 seems unlikely to me...

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 03:24:53 AM »
Do you mean "CDL" ? PC10 seems unlikely to me...

CDL it is then. I'm still a neophyte when it comes to the study of WWI aircraft and not shy about admitting it too. Frankly, I know next to nothing but I do like modelling them.

Cheers,

Chris

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 03:38:26 AM »
No worries 
CDL = "Clear Doped Linen" (usually rendered as some variation of tan)
PC10 = "Protective Coloring #10" (darkish green or brown color no one can agree on :) )

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 08:31:56 AM »
I find those undersurfaces puzzling to say the least. If not for the turnaround visible in the photo I would swear it should be Aluminum dope. I would find CDL or PC 10 to be odd. Maybe someone has more info and will post soon.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 12:44:38 PM »
Going out on a limb here, but I think it is CDL undersides, and the lighter return of the aluminum uppers is due to different reflectivity. You can see the roundels on the lower wing in some of the photos. I think that is likely factory applied.

But I know nothing, pure speculation.

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 03:00:08 AM »
When you gents use the term, Turnaround, are you referring to the narrow border seem at the edges of the underside of the wings?

Thanks,
Michael

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 03:05:40 AM »
When you gents use the term, Turnaround, are you referring to the narrow border seem at the edges of the underside of the wings?

Thanks,
Michael

That's what I meant by "return" anyway; I assume that's what Rick was referring to as well when he mentioned the "turnaround"

The assumption (dangerous though it may be) is that the border is the same color as the upper wing. If so it is somewhat wider than standard found on most RFC / RAF aircraft, I reckon.

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 11:38:32 AM »
Okay, many thanks.

Michael

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 01:28:57 PM »

Thanks,
Michael

That's what I meant by "return" anyway; I assume that's what Rick was referring to as well when he mentioned the "turnaround"

The assumption (dangerous though it may be) is that the border is the same color as the upper wing. If so it is somewhat wider than standard found on most RFC / RAF aircraft, I reckon.

yes, return is what I meant. I also agree that this one is certainly broader than the norm!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler