Author Topic: a reluctant decision  (Read 1675 times)

Offline ALBATROS1234

a reluctant decision
« on: September 13, 2014, 02:18:03 PM »
having some money difficulties and thinking i have to sell some stuff. in my heart i would rather offer here rather than go to ebay if for no other reason that i would rather a friend have first crack . will reluctantly sell my copy of austro-hungarian army aircraft of world war one by peter gros et al. it is a first edition which is the version with the dust cover and color profiles.  i know some of you would like to get the book and have had trouble getting them shipped abroad. was debating on doing a silent auction for a week and then winner pays the bid plus shipping to where ever they need it shipped. personally i paid $250.00 plus around $13 shipping within the u.s. overseas could be $20 or more not sure it is quite a heavy book. i am posting to see what interest there might be and if theres only one of you we can do it outright but if theres several that are into it we can do the silent auction. so anyone interested? if there is no interest i will put it on ebay.

Offline ALBATROS1234

Re: a reluctant decision
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 07:13:23 AM »
i'll wait a day or 2 to let anyone interested see before going to ebay. and just a note i am just looking to get as much as possible,not necessarily as much as i paid. will also consider partial trades for kits or whatnot plus some cash.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 09:21:09 AM »
i'll wait a day or 2 to let anyone interested see before going to ebay. and just a note i am just looking to get as much as possible,not necessarily as much as i paid. will also consider partial trades for kits or whatnot plus some cash.

I wish I was flush at the moment b/c I would love to acquire this book, and the price you paid us not at all unreasonable for a desirable OOP volume like this... But the timing for me is horrible and I can't swing it now :(

Sorry to hear of your financial woes ... Imo I'd liquidate the WNW inventory first, the OOP kits are almost guaranteed to reappear in some guise, whereas I think this book will continue to appreciate but...

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 02:31:17 PM »
yeah i guess i could flip the re8, but that was one of the kits i was really excited about. i have some kits i could sell. i have a spare flashback hansa w.29 for instance. personally i figured the market would go down on the book because they were being snapped up for big bucks a couple years ago. i had combed amazon and ebay for a year looking for one to dip below $300 as there were 4 for sale ranging from $300 to $425 but they werent selling. thing about it is a book is always useable. a kit is new until you bust the plastic wrap then every part you cut off the sprue and add glue to decreases value until its a model. once everyone who can afford $300 bought the book it could only go down in price. i waited until one guy posted $275 obo and i sent him an email offering $250 and he took me up. truth be told i'm easy,its not like i'm being evicted i just kinda need a bit of cash and theres a couple wnw kits i'm craving.so we shall see.

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 05:00:27 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear about your difficulties and my thoughts are with you as you try to sort things out.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 12:51:07 PM »
very kind of you nigel.

mike in calif

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 12:35:44 AM »
Sorry to hear of the tight money situation, but my philosophy matches Bo's here..... sell kits, not books.

Dekenba

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 01:06:39 AM »
Kits get improved - it's absolutely inevitable that WNW's kits will be surpassed in the future, just as they have done to Roden in 1/32.

Books much less so, especially with the move to digital. I'd agree that you should sell kits rather than books.

You'll not build them all anyway!

Offline Checkers67

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 01:26:34 AM »
Sorry to hear about your trouble Albie1234. I too tried to sell the same book. No buyers so far.
Pls contact me if you deceide to sell off AH kits. I still need a second Phönix D.I as well as AH two seaters.
Take Care!
Steve

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 02:44:25 PM »
theres people that want the book but not at the prices they were going for. i would sell mine for $200 including shipping right now. as far as kits i am a bit tight with holding on to my rare a-h resin stuff but i will have a look see and let you know. other wise i am just going to end up doin the ebay thing. my prob was i bought some stuff i came across and shouldnt have spent money on. i got my bills caught up but i am broke. as time goes on i catch up more and more. its a great book, but i have read it 20 times and if i sell it i will make photocopies of the 3 views i want .personally i think the book is well worth $200, i was willing to pay more than that, the market crashed, most guys who want a book of this quality have it. if not they think  why so much its a book. but its like a 600 page windsock datafile ya know.

Offline Checkers67

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 02:53:53 AM »
I hear you Albie. Thanks to a tax refund I was able to payoff some bills and get my car ready for winter. Poff! Empty wallet. "The Book", is my favorite R and D source of modelling glee. It will be difficult to part with. Instead of selling it, I will kick up some dust in the stash closet. Heads Up!

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 11:48:52 AM »
book sold presently travelingto its destination

Offline Rob_Owens

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 09:15:57 AM »
Albizwoelfvierunddreisig, I think it's great that  you  found a  buyer hier; Power to The Forum!!
An alle: Froehe Weinachten und Guten  Ruetsch!!
Rob
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 09:20:02 AM by Rob_Owens »