Author Topic: 1/72 Encore Albatros D.III Oeffag  (Read 3594 times)

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
1/72 Encore Albatros D.III Oeffag
« on: September 06, 2014, 03:42:37 PM »
Hello everyone,

This is my latest build – the Encore Albatros D.III (Oeffag Series 153) in 1/72 scale. The Encore kit uses the Roden plastic with some resin and etched extras thrown in. The kit is designed by Roden for maximum sales flexibility in that the upper forward decking and cowls are all separate, as well as the upper wing being split into three sections, all to facilitate the different German and Austrian models of the Albatros. Whilst great, this makes construction a little trickier. The plastic is soft and has a rough texture to it, as well as a bit of flash, so some care is needed in the clean up. I found ut the hard way that the kit interplane struts were too long, and when the wing was mounted to the cabane struts, the interplane struts ended up bowing and pushing the bottom wings downwards…. so I ended up having to trim the struts and re-mount the wing. Sigh. The lower wings still don’t have quite enough dihedral even now, but I’m not mounting that wing for a third time….

Otherwise, this build was straight out of the box, painted in the marking of a Polish D.III of the 7 Eskadra "Kosciuszko" flown by American volunteers during the Polish-Bolshevik War of 1919-1920. The decals were a mixture of Techmod (for the Austrian ‘sworl’ printed fabric), the kit decals and some from the spares box. I found out the hard way that the Techmod decals don't stick too well and are brittle when dry - I found it very difficult to remove the rib tape masking without pulling up the decal, and the top wing needed to have sections re-decalled and re-weathered.  Very frustrating.
Build log can be found here: http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=3936.0

The kit is not for beginners, but still builds up nicely in the end. Feedback, comments and criticisms always welcome!

Cheers,

BC

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: 1/72 Encore Albatros D.III Oeffag
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 04:58:41 PM »
A very impressive looking model Brad, you have done a superb job with the wood and the decal application, the overall finish is excellent. One question, did the spoked wheels come with the kit as PE, if so, where they difficult to assemble.

Des.

Where do you get those huge tins of Humbrol paint, my tins are only really tiny  :) :) ;)
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 05:59:49 PM »
The finish looks incredibly realistic. I think its brilliant Brad, and its great to see something so well done in 1/72 scale.

Champion!

Cheers
James
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 06:01:57 PM »
This is real modelling at its best.What a jem!!!Fantastic Brilliant Bravo!!!

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 06:14:00 PM »
Thanks guys!

Des - yes the spoked wheels are part of the 'upgrade' items that Encore supply in the kit - the tires are resin and the spoked inserts are provided on their etched set. They even provide a resin folding template for the outer convex side of the wheels. As a result, the wheels are fairly easy to assemble, despite how ham-fistedly I assembled them :)

Cheers,

BC

Offline hadzi

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 06:54:52 PM »
One of the best Oeffags D.III in 1/72!!! :)

Offline Jacek

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 09:50:14 PM »
Beautifully made ​​model !
Congratulations.
Jacek

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 11:19:57 PM »
Outstanding model Brad!  Particularly impressive in 1/72.  Thanks for the tips on the Techmod sworl decals.  I have some 1/32 sheets awaiting an eventual Alby Oeffag in that scale.

Beautiful finish and scheme on this one.  Very well done!

Cheers & huzzas,

Bob

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 11:42:56 PM »
This is a Stunning and Beautiful build Brad! Your craftsmanship is always OUTSTANDING!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

guitarlute101

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 11:53:27 PM »

Excellent work Brad! I understand about the struts. I find more and more that I am making my own struts in 1/72. Beautiful work all around, I especially like the blue on the nose.

Mark

Offline IanB

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 12:01:24 AM »
Another absolute gem from your workbench, Brad. Anytime I think I'm getting the hang of 1:72 I simply look at one of your models to remind me how far I still have to go! Always a pleasure to see them.

Ian

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 12:24:25 AM »
When you see it along side a Humbrol tin, it makes me shake my head  in amazement at how you can do such fine work on such a small canvas.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 01:06:21 AM »
Superb, Brad -

I love the colour tone of your wooden fuselage.

I mostly use invisible mending thread in this scale for rigging - what material did you use for this?

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline petrov27

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2014, 01:16:16 AM »
Totally brilliant and near amazing - it is so small yet could pass for a much larger detailed model without the tin for scale comparison!
-Patrick

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2014, 09:17:49 AM »
Truly phenomenal, Brad!  This is, without a doubt, one of the most beautiful Oeffags I've seen in any scale.  Heartfelt congratulations, mate.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence