Author Topic: WNW SE5a Hisso  (Read 2747 times)

Offline Epeeman

Re: WNW SE5a Hisso
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 01:44:49 AM »
Thank you all, gentleman

Superb work Dave! She's a real beauty. I haven't built mine yet but if it comes out even half as well as yours did, I'll be pleased. I've only built the Roden kit so from what you've written, I can expect this one to be even better?

Cheers,

Chris

Chris - I've also built the Roden kit and that a pretty good kit as it goes.  Yes, the WNW version goes together extremely well so you won't be disappointed.  The overall detail (especially in the cockpit) is also is far superior.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 03:52:44 AM »
It is a beautifully modelled SE5a, Dave. Congratulations.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline BigBlue

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 12:14:52 PM »
She's a beauty, Dave!

I would be impressed with the results regardless of your technique, but given that I will do almost anything to avoid brush painting, I really tip my cap to you.  Any brush painting tips you care to pass along? 

Well done,

Chris

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 07:38:28 PM »
Prez -

Thank you - I appreciate your comments!

She's a beauty, Dave!

I would be impressed with the results regardless of your technique, but given that I will do almost anything to avoid brush painting, I really tip my cap to you.  Any brush painting tips you care to pass along? 

Well done,

Chris

Thanks, Chris -

I paint using acrylics (Revell aqua colour paint in my case) and select brush size depending on size of area to be painted, e.g. large brush for large area, small size for smaller areas, e.g. the underwing edging was painted free hand (no masking used) using a fine brush and then touched in as necessary till all looked straight.

Undercoat with neutral colour first, e.g. light grey, etc. depending on top coat colour.

Regarding paint - always thin paint before use - approx just slightly thicker than water.  Build up in layers.  Paint in one direction  allow to dry then add next coat in another direction.  Build up until area fully covered with top coat - last coat goes in direction of airflow over aircraft surface.  If you don not thin the paint, once dry you will see brush strokes in the painted surface which looks awful.

Before applying decals - I gloss coat model surface to be decalled with clear gloss.  As soon as dry, apply decals.  I then use a decal softening solution and dry brush (carefully) the decal to conform to model surface.  Again, as soon as dry, I then apply up to four coats of clear and then leave all to completely dry for several hours.  I know others would advise against this and wait for some time before clear coating decals.   I have found doing it this way really pulls the decals tight into the model surface and when fully dry almost looks like markings actually painted on.   That's just my method so I do not suggest this is necessarily the way to go for you.

Hope this made sense and was useful.

Regards

Dave

Offline mgunns

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 12:48:35 AM »
Hello Dave:

Great looking SE5.  Your finishes are amazing, looks air brushed to me.  Outstanding work all around.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Dekenba

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2014, 04:13:17 AM »
Great weathering, really realistic finish - subtle but hinting at a used aircraft.

And you can never have too many photo's!!

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2014, 06:17:04 AM »
Dave,

That is one of the best SEs I've ever seen.  Really nicely weathered.  Love it...Dan

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 08:02:55 AM »
Mark, Dekenba and Dan -

Thank you - I'm pleased you like the finish

Regards

Dave

Offline BigBlue

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2014, 01:52:53 PM »
Thanks for the description of your technique, Dave.

Once again, very nicely done.

Chris