Author Topic: WNW SE5a Hisso  (Read 2744 times)

Offline Epeeman

WNW SE5a Hisso
« on: August 24, 2014, 01:22:03 AM »
All,

Just completed Wingnut's superbly engineered SE5a kit.   This is probably one of the best fitting kits I have had the pleasure of building thus far.   This model has been built strictly OOB - the level of basic kit detail is excellent so did not feel the need to add anything else really.

Model rigged with combination of 2lb fishing line, EZ line and stretched sprue.  As always with me, model entirely brush painted (this was the best finish I could achieve with my paint brushes) including rib shading and weathering.

The only thing letting the model down is the double wire rigging which has not come out as well as I would have liked.

Apologies if there are too many pictures ...........

Regards

Dave

As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
Re: WNW SE5a Hisso
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 01:25:53 AM »
Fantastic work, Dave! Very realistic.

Lindsay

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 03:00:39 AM »
Very very nice Dave. I agree with your comments on the Kit as well, a pleasure to build and fits second to none.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 03:20:54 AM »
A lovely piece of work, Dave and it's good to read your comments on the kit as it's there on my to do list.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 04:29:36 AM »
How can there be too many pictures of a model finished as well as this one? That is a cracker - never mind about the rigging - I for one can hardly see it, or at least only because you pointed it out and I looked very closely indeed. That really is a model to be proud of.

Offline Vickers

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 05:42:16 AM »
That's one beautiful SE, Dave!  Truly looks the part and I certainly favor your color decisions on top and underneath- looks like a dead eye match for the one at Hendon.  Did you have any issues with the upper cowling fit?  Just asking since other modelers have reported having to cut down the upper engine bits to get the upper cowling to sit flush.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 05:53:46 AM »
Truly astonishing work, Dave!  Especially considering that she is brush painted.  You've achieved a better finish than I could with an airbrush.  The rib shading and weathering are remarkable.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 06:31:52 AM »
Thanks, gents!

Vickers - Regarding the cowling - Yes, I also read a lot about this before starting the kit.   I therefore approached this part of the build from a different direction to those shown in the instructions.  Firstly, once engine was built, I snapped it into place directly onto the completed cowling part.   Engine with fitted cowling was then attached to the engine bay and glued (firmly) in place.   Front radiator (after painting) was fitted and carefully matched to engine/cowling/sides and glued in place when all matched up.  I therefore had the benefit of others experience and this 'fix' worked (and fitted perfectly) assembled in this manner.

One other point on construction - rudder and elevators required pinning (with metal wire) as there is nothing really to attach these parts to.  Assembling in this manner has resulted in a really strong attachment in these areas.

Upper colour was my own mix of dark olive and mud brown.  Undersides mix of silk matt beige and light grey.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline Chip

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 07:36:00 AM »
That is a very nice model !!!

It's surprising how different the 4 blade prop, high thrust line and steel tube undercarriage alter the appearance of the SE5a.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 10:46:40 AM »
Hello Dave:

Outstanding job on the SE.5a.  This is a difficult to build and rig and you did an outstanding job with it.  I am amazed that you can achieve a finish like that with brushes. 

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 11:02:20 AM »
Congratulations Dave on completing this amazing model, the overall finish is superb and the rigging is extremely well done. Your brush painting skills are as good as any air brushed model, and the shading is excellent, well done Dave.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 01:00:48 PM »
Truly astonishing work, Dave!  Especially considering that she is brush painted.  You've achieved a better finish than I could with an airbrush.  The rib shading and weathering are remarkable.
Cheers,
Bud

Dave, I can't say it any better than my Amigo! Just astonishing what you achieve with a good old fashion paint brush!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Snowy

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 04:26:48 PM »
That is an excellent model of the SE5a Dave. You have got to be pleased with that! Great work.

Cheers
Snowy

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 07:13:52 PM »
Another beauty in your hangar Dave!  The overall finish is outstanding.  Very well done! ;D

Cheers,

Bob

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 01:26:10 AM »
Superb work Dave! She's a real beauty. I haven't built mine yet but if it comes out even half as well as yours did, I'll be pleased. I've only built the Roden kit so from what you've written, I can expect this one to be even better?

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.