Author Topic: Boom rigging tip  (Read 964 times)

Offline Berman

Boom rigging tip
« on: August 23, 2014, 10:07:39 AM »
One possible solution for rigging pusher aircraft with tail booms such as DH-2, Fe2b, Farmans,Voisins is to use sewing needles. These are available in a large selection of sizes and are relatively cheap. It is very important to wear safety eye protection for the following steps.
 Grind down the head (area near the needle's eye) if a bit too long. Then snap off, using a pair of flat nosed pliers, a length of about four or five milimeters. Use a very fine toothed razor saw to cut a slot in the end of the strut for needle placement.  Drill a corresponding hole in the boom to accept the head of the needle.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Boom rigging tip
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 10:13:50 AM »
Thanks for the tip , never though of using sew needles .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline IanB

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 11:25:58 AM »
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say. Are you suggesting that the needle replaces each end of the strut? If so, why not just cut a slot in the original strut?

Ian

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 11:33:49 AM »
I'm with Ian on this one, I don't quite understand what it is you are trying to describe, do you have any photos or drawings of your technique?

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Berman

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 01:20:11 AM »
The needle serves two functions.  It acts to pin the strut and boom together while providing the necessary hole for the rigging. I believe this creates a stronger assembly than just slotting or cross drilling the end of the strut. I had read a  1/48th scale DH-2 build article by Tom Morgan. He cross drilled .010 inch diameter tubing with a Mascot flat pivot .004 inch diameter drill bit to rig his tail booms. My thought was that needles have the holes already made. You could also drill out the end of the strut lengthwise for insertion of the needle piece but I think slotting would be easier.