Author Topic: 1/32nd National markings  (Read 2727 times)

Offline Russell Niles

1/32nd National markings
« on: August 21, 2014, 03:59:14 AM »
Rowan
Have you considered doing a sheet or two of nothing but National Markings? Roundels, crosses etc?

Just curious. It would seem that there would be a market, especially to replace those darn Roden decals.

Thanks

Russ

Offline Vickers

Re: 1/32nd National markings
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 04:47:28 AM »
Great idea! Especially for allied types for which there's few, if any, alternatives.  I would love to replace the insignia decals for the 1/32nd Nieuports, SPAD's, and Moranes from Hobby Craft, Roden, and Special Hobby currently in the stash. I'm just thanking my lucky stars that Rowan includes proper insignia in his current decal sets.

Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 07:29:47 AM »
Great idea! it has my vote........... 8)
Cheers,
Lance

WarrenD

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 09:17:33 AM »
I personally like the idea. For a long, long time those of us who dabble in 1/72nd had to either scrounge for the elusive Pegasus French Roundel sheets, or deal with A/G roundels and their idiosyncrasies. I'd buy up a couple of sheets each of French, RFC/RNAS, IRAS, Italian, etc.

FWIW,

Warren

Offline rowan broadbent

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 11:17:47 AM »
Always interested to hear your ideas.

Sets of national markings for WWI are a tricky subject: the problem is that there are so many variations in sizes and proportions - sometimes for the same aircraft - the SPAD XIII, for instance, had a myriad of subcontractors and broadly speaking, each one had their own particular cockade size, location and sometimes different colour proportions - and then we have the issue of french cockade colours..... British roundels varied with the chord of the subject machine's wing and sometimes there were also variations in colour ring proportions, early/late colours, with or without white outlines etc. The closer you look, the more of a minefield it becomes.

Another issue (particularly for 1/32nd scale) is the sheer size of the roundel decals and the space they take up on a decal sheet. Print costs are a function of area as well as sheet volumes and colours employed, so an A4 decal sheet with just large roundels on it costs as much to print as an A4 sheet using the same colours and providing markings for masses of different machines.

When we design decal sets for kits with known poor decals, I usually include national insignia appropriate for the subject and we'll continue to do so.

For 1/72nd scale the cost issues are easier to cope with, due to the smaller size and perhaps we can look again at producing some national marking sets in this scale.

Now that the website is jogging along I want to introduce a separate "subscription" section where I can seek support for specific ideas and proceed when there is sufficient committed interest. I am  finding this tiny market of ours increasingly difficult to predict and this approach will, I hope, help prevent me having expensive shelf-sitters (like the RE8 set) and also give the chance for 72nd and 48th scale modellers to back their own scales. Keep an eye on the website for this development in the next few months.

Thanks for the ideas, chaps - keep them coming!

Rowan
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline radio

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 10:43:19 PM »
I need different sizes for fighter, C, CL and bomber Gotha and AEG. Also early and late Variation and capture aircraft.
Martin

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 11:41:48 PM »
Rather than national markings (which are easy enough to mask and paint) I'd rather see sets of things like serial numbers and maker's marks. Doug Baumann used to offer a nice selection of German numerals but it was home printed with all the drawbacks that implies.

And for that matter, instrument dials of the same quality as WNWs. There are a huge number of variations just in the German instrument faces, it would be nice to have something a bit different. I know there is an aftermarket supplier of WWI dial faces, but those pale in comparison to WNWs.

Just my $.02

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 10:58:47 AM »
Rather than national markings (which are easy enough to mask and paint) I'd rather see sets of things like serial numbers and maker's marks. Doug Baumann used to offer a nice selection of German numerals but it was home printed with all the drawbacks that implies.

And for that matter, instrument dials of the same quality as WNWs. There are a huge number of variations just in the German instrument faces, it would be nice to have something a bit different. I know there is an aftermarket supplier of WWI dial faces, but those pale in comparison to WNWs.

Just my $.02

Count me in this camp, too.
Honor Necessity

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 11:03:58 AM »

Just my $.02

Moi aussi!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

WarrenD

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 09:23:35 AM »
Rowan,
           I like the idea of a "subscription section", it'll give us a chance to put our money where our typing is.  :D

Warren

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 10:06:23 AM »

Just my $.02

Moi aussi!
Cheers,
Bud

I agree,
The second Amigo,
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline radio

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 10:17:10 PM »
I think Serials and other like Bo for all scales.
Martin