Author Topic: Re: Revell of Germany 1:28 Sopwith F.1 Camel  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Chris Johnson

Re: Revell of Germany 1:28 Sopwith F.1 Camel
« on: August 24, 2014, 09:46:39 PM »
What's the verdict on this 1:28 Camel kit? Being relatively new to WWI aviation, I suspect that it's a re-pop of a very old kit and having no where near the detail of WnW, but for a Camel enthusiast like me, the size is right. I've built a couple of Roden kits so for comparison purposes, would it rival one of those in quality? It's dirt cheap so I'm not expecting much to start with.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 11:09:31 PM »
It's a repop Chris from the original release back in the 70's , but the detail is better then what is in the hobbycraft kit .

Terri

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 11:15:19 PM »
Chris,
You are right about the re-pop. This is indeed Revelles OLD 1/28th kit from way back. The Hobby Craft 1/32nd kit is basically a scaled down version if that gives you an idea. (Revelles might be a bit better). I am attaching a link to the Show us your Sopwith Camel thread where DR1 Ace(Ed Boll) has his beautifully done Revelle Camel posted.

RAGIII

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=645.30
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 01:09:14 AM »
I am attaching a link to the Show us your Sopwith Camel thread where DR1 Ace(Ed Boll) has his beautifully done Revelle Camel posted.
http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=645.30

That's a beautiful looking Camel! I think I saw the kit selling for $16.00US, so it's well worth having, even if I built it OOB.

. . . but the detail is better then what is in the hobbycraft kit .

I already have the Academy kit and is it a re-pop of the Hobbycraft offering?

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 02:01:01 AM »
Hello, Chris -

Yes, this is a really old kit, but it goes together extremely well and the latest markings supplied in this latest re-issue are really colourful.  Lovely quality decals supplied in the kit too.

I built this one very recently http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=3425.0 as shown in attached link.

Although not 100% accurate (and lacking in cockpit detail) they can be easy worked resulting a nice, large scale model.

Give it a go - you might be pleasantly surprised.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 02:22:47 AM »
Nice job Dave! Based on what I'm seeing here and for what the kit retails for, I'm sold.

Cheers,

Chris

Offline gcn

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 05:34:13 AM »
Chris

This http://hsfeatures.com/features04/camelcompbb_1.htm explains the hobbycraft camel releases. Unfortunately the Academy repops are the earlier release.

The later moulds have apparently been abducted by aliens and can no longer produce kits. Making them sought after.

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 05:38:14 AM »
Thanks, Chris

Just one thing I forgot to add.   Built from the box the top wing ends up with a distinct bow when it should be flat.  I overcome this by bending upwards (not too much) the lower wings.  I also sat the cabane struts as deep (I removed some of the plastic part that connects these struts together at the top) as I could get into the corresponding slot on underside of top wing.

Also, allow some extra prep time cleaning up all parts prior to assembly - all comes out well in the end though.

I really look forward to seeing you work on this kit - good luck!

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 06:02:48 AM »
This http://hsfeatures.com/features04/camelcompbb_1.htm explains the hobbycraft camel releases. Unfortunately the Academy repops are the earlier release.

Well of course, that would be my luck!  ;D

Just one thing I forgot to add.   Built from the box the top wing ends up with a distinct bow when it should be flat.  I overcome this by bending upwards (not too much) the lower wings.  I also sat the cabane struts as deep (I removed some of the plastic part that connects these struts together at the top) as I could get into the corresponding slot on underside of top wing.

I just ordered the kit so I'll print this out and file it in the box when it arrives.

Cheers,

Chris

Offline Vickers

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 08:51:37 AM »
Chris

The later moulds have apparently been abducted by aliens and can no longer produce kits. Making them sought after.

Which is as good as any reason for WNW to relieve us of the prospects of building any of the previous 1/32nd Camel kits. Time for the Hobby Craft & Academy Camels to take their place in the realm of the nostalgic kit collector.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 09:46:49 AM »
Go for it Chris, in your very capable hands it will turn out to be a stunner, I hope you do a build log on the forum once you start it.

Des
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 10:17:49 AM »
On the Revell kit, shorten the interplane struts to get the Top Wing level (0 anhedral/dihedral)  She is great old lady to work on, the best in large scale 'till WNW does one.

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 10:20:17 AM »
Hi Chris.... the old Revell 1/28 Sopwith Camel is a fun build and I recall making a few of them back in the 60s from memory. It was part of an initial trio of Camel, Fokker DR.1 and Spad XIII. Many many years later Revell issued a Fokker D.VII in 1/28 scale but it was criticised for lack of detail in the era ( 90s when the dreaded "Accuracy" word started to obsess everyone  :) )

I'd regard the Camel as a great way to develop skills in detailing and it sure looks like a Camel. Of course Hasegawa has recently issued a 1/16th (?) Camel and others around include the clunky old Academy/ Hobbycraft 1/32 kit and the later- much better- Hobbycraft updates of the mould, now impossible to find.

You will know that Wingnuts has a Camel in development - no release date announced yet- but it will be a state of the art kit and sell like crazy. I expect multiple versions of the Camel from them- basic F.1, Naval, Night Fighter Comic ( hopefully) !

That said the old Revell Camel is a fun nostalgia build and a great way to learn some new detailing techniques on a cheap ( $$$- wise) model. Look at Des' website and see what he achieved with the Academy kit.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 01:02:40 AM »
I'm looking forward to it already.

Cheers,

Chris

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 02:48:45 AM »
A side note: "You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible."

You obviously haven't been to In-N-Out for burgers and fries.  :)
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.