Author Topic: Fokker D.VII lozenge on interior fuselage tubes?  (Read 1193 times)

Offline davecww1

Fokker D.VII lozenge on interior fuselage tubes?
« on: August 15, 2014, 03:54:30 AM »
Hi everyone, while researching the interior of the Fokker built D.VII fuselages I have read somewhere that the fuselage tubes were wrapped with lozenge fabric to prevent the steel tube rubbing through the outer fuselage fabric.  The only problem is that I have never been able to find any photos showing this except for the Fokker D.VIII restoration in Italy.  So my question is as follows... Would this lozenge be wrapped on only the upper and lower longerons, and not the vertical fuselage tubes?  Also was this used by the Fokker, OAW and Albatros factory?  I have seen this done on only one Fokker model, by Bud.  Seems with all of the new Wingnuts kits being built someone would have thought about this, or maybe some evidence has been found that it was not used on all of the D.VIIs?  I would love to get everyone's thoughts on this, especially seeing how many people are doing D.VIIs for the group build.  Anyway while researching this I found a photo of the OAW built D.VII in the Smithsonian (U.10) during the restoration that shows the tailskid, and the lower longeron is definitely lozenge covered in this photo!  So I will share, and hope to find out what other tubing is lozenge covered. 

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Fokker D.VII lozenge on interior fuselage tubes?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 06:06:44 AM »
Dave,
    The Wingnut Fokker D.VII (OAW) Instructions Booklet calls for and supplies  lozenge wrap on the upper cockpit frame members which I installed on mine. I checked the Alb and Fok versions and they do as well, either the supplied lozenge or painted to represent a CDL Wrap. I have seen reference in the past to some of the longerons being similarly treated, but only the longerons.
     Don't know if this helps you much but it could be a start.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline davecww1

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 07:22:51 AM »
Sounds good to me Lance.  I was just mentioning this as I have seen very little reference to this in online builds.  I am going to do this on my 1/48 scale Sachenberg build, but looks like only the upper longeron will be seen with this covering.
Dave

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 12:27:58 PM »
Yes, that's sort of the good news Dave. The upper longerons along the cockpit "sill" are about the only ones visible with the fuselage closed.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Beto

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 05:40:28 PM »
Yes, the four fuselage longerons were fabric wrapped from the firewall backwards. The outer covering was then sewn and doped to the longerons.