Author Topic: Scale ACT- ACTSMS annual show.  (Read 1765 times)

Offline Dal Gavan

Scale ACT- ACTSMS annual show.
« on: May 27, 2012, 04:13:28 PM »
G'day, all.

I'm just back from the Australian Capital Territory Scale Modelling Society (ACTSMS_ see why I use the acronym) annual show.  There were loads of very beautifully done models from competitors, the club displays were brilliant and we also had TF72 (modern RC naval vessels) and the Canberra Model Shipwrights Society with their displays.  The only thing missing:

There was not one WWI aircraft kit on display.  There were three very nice single figure vignettes (I've included a photo' of one- I took more, but having enough time to focus and take the shot before getting bumped means they didn't come out too well) and two tanks, but not one aircraft I could find.  There was rather a large collection of Roden, Blue Max and Eduard 1/48 aircraft for sale in the Bring and Buy, but as I am determined to stick to 1/32, they didn't tempt me.  The seller may take them to Model Expo in Melbourne- or throw them on e-bay.

Next year they'll have my Pfalz D.IIIa.  Des, if we can line up yourself and perhaps a couple of other modellers from NSW/Oz, we can try to turn the tide.  I'm sure seeing a couple of your models would tempt some people into our niche of the hobby.  It worked for me.

Still, it was a good weekend.  I got a few things done, did some business with the traders and spent an enjoyable lunch watching RC tanks fighting battles.

Cheers.

Dal.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Scale ACT- ACTSMS annual show.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 04:48:16 PM »
Thanks Dal for your report on the Canberra Model Show, what disappointing news to hear that there were no WW1 model aircraft represented, I think this just goes to prove how small a niche market we WW1 aircraft modelers have in the overall modeling community. I think it is a genre of modeling which is increasing in popularity but it will take quite some time before it actually makes a huge impact and becomes recognised as a serious subject. Wingnuts have given WW1 aircraft modeling a real shot in the arm, but we need a few more of the kit manufacturers to get on board and start producing kits.

I am doing my best to promote WW1 model aircraft but getting the word out is not easy, and can be very expensive, we will have to rely on word of mouth and hope that people will spread the word about these wonderful models and encourage others to give it a go.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Carpo

• A gallery of my Models
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 06:19:15 PM »
It may not help that it is so close to the Melbourne Expo - modellers from outside Canberra may be saving their travelling money for Melbourne.
There are probably only a handful of WW1 modellers in Australia that actually enter these competitions. Hopefully Melbourne will bring them all out (although that means more competition - so feel free not to enter because I for one am on the way!)
Carpo
The air force will always need technicians because pilots need heroes too.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 07:07:19 PM »
You are probably right Paul, I had forgotten all about the Melbourne Expo coming up soon, it's a little bit too far for me to travel to though.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 07:41:35 PM »
G'day, Gents.

Carpo, we're actually looking at moving it back to the end of September, as the Illawara meeting was three weeks ago and, as you say, Melbourne's on soon. Having you and Des put some models in would really raise the profile.  If we can get Brad posted back to Canberra, that would also help. 

There were a lot of 1/48 WWI kits that didn't move.  I was sorely tempted, even if just to offer them at cost + P&P to board members here, but my dentist needs a new Mercedes and I'm an enabler.....

Des, it was disappointing.  The new venue made a big difference- it wasn't as crowded and dark as the Harmonie Club- and perhaps that will help attract a few more people as well.

Cheers.

Dal.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 03:48:38 AM »
 Dal,
That is rather disappointing news of the lack of WW I builds. The area contest around me seem to run hot one year and cold the next as far as WW I builds go. But thanks to Wingnut Wings the interest in the period is certainly growing which is good for us. Better luck next year though.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Fokker boy

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 03:25:21 PM »
Same here (and probably everywhere else), our autumn invitational draws in some pretty serious talent from the region, with only a tiny portion (if any), WWI stuff being represented. 
Kevin

(30 years ago I started off with nothing, and I've still got most of it!)

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 07:23:03 AM »
...and on that note - Hey Des - how about a show calendar section?

Steve

Offline Carpo

• A gallery of my Models
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 05:41:47 PM »
I may be commiting a grave offence, but WnW has brought a major problem to the hobby. Now that it takes so long to complete a model, there are fewer WW1 entries than before! The quality has certainly improved but as for quantity.....
Anyway, the sooner they release the Snipe the better ha ha!
Carpo :P :)
The air force will always need technicians because pilots need heroes too.