Author Topic: Fokker E series colour  (Read 1097 times)

Offline jknaus

Fokker E series colour
« on: July 28, 2014, 03:09:04 AM »
I am wondering if there is a definative guide to the colour of the Fokker E machines. I am about to paint the interior of my E.IV aqnd it can be either cdl or grey green (RLM 2 is called out by WNW). I have looked through here and cant see anything yet I know I read somewhere that there was a contoversy on this subject. Some wrote with disdain the use of the grey green was wrong. Could some one help me with this?
James

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
Re: Fokker E series colour
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 05:20:05 AM »
One can get really twisted up in controversy about WWI airplane colors. Years ago, when I returned to modeling, I frequented a WWI modeler mailing list and rather innocently posted about Voss' F.1 103/17's yellow cowl. The resulting explosive flame war lasted for over a week. The answers to most of the color questions are best estimates, not hard and fast rules. If it was "green" one should expect little consensus about what shade and hue of green it might have been. And even with one exact color specified or applied, field applications and paint mixes combined with weather and combat conditions render discussions of colors rather vague at then end of the day.

I tend to trust sources like Wingnuts Wings research and recent works like Josef Scott's on the Eindecker long before I would rely heavily on forum discussions.

I like RLM02 because WnW recommends it and it makes sense that a very similar color would have been carried on into aircraft production for WWII by the Germans.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline jknaus

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 06:00:49 AM »
Awesome, thanks guys.

James

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 01:53:13 PM »
the reason they saying they were painted is someone pointed out that the light didnt show thru the wings as if it were just plain clear doped linen(cdl) i have always painted my eindecker models as if they were cdl. this was before i heard the theory that some if not all were painted. personally i think green/grey seems strange. i would think blue/grey would be better from camo perspective since the sky is blue. maybe it was just grey? no real way to find out unless someone has an original eindecker fabric sample .but then thats just one. so were they all like this? its like the pc-10 contrversy or the werner voss yellow/green drab or even whether the werner voss f-1 was doped blue before it was streaked. no one truly knows for sure. do what makes you feel comfortable james.

Offline GrahamB

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 06:31:05 AM »
Feldgrau is a likely colour too - a green-grey, possibly similar to the German Army uniform (but note WW1 was different from WW2). Quite a few Fokker E types show a similar tone to nearby personnel at least on some part of the airframe - fuselage only, wings only, or both. However, some coarse unbleached linens are quite dark and brown (think 'hemp'). When I get around to my 'E' I'm going for feldgrau, and good old RLM2 is part of this colour group. There are customised or matched feldgrau paints out there though.

Cheers,

GrahamB

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 06:37:29 AM »
thats true i didnt think of feld grau

Offline jknaus

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 07:25:47 AM »
Thanks guys. A lot of food for thought here. Went with the scheme as caled for by WNW.
James