Author Topic: Geneseo NY. Various WWI replicas, Dr1 crash.  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Daniel

Geneseo NY. Various WWI replicas, Dr1 crash.
« on: July 14, 2014, 11:10:31 AM »
Hello, I am new to the site so here is my first contribution, some pictures I took at Geneseo NY when I still lived in that town a few years ago.

My ugly mug from many moons ago~

1918 Harley Davidson~

Sopwith 1 1/2 strutter~

Fokker Dr1~

My Avatar~

Starboard side~

Se5a 3/4 scale cockpit~

Fokker in the corn~

More views here, better views but not my pictures~

http://www.aerialperspectives.org/2011Airshows-1/Geneseo/Fokker-DR-1-Crash/i-Ppzmcqb

Second crash at Geneseo that day, a Bonanza jockey who ignored the barriers and directional signs coming to grief in a large mud puddle~

I hope you enjoyed the views. Best regards, Daniel.
"He fought until he landed. When he had come to the ground I flew over him at an altitude of about thirty feet in order to ascertain whether I had killed him or not. What did the rascal do? He took his machine gun and shot holes into my machine"... ~Manfred Von Richthofen.

Offline rhallinger

Re: Geneseo NY. Various WWI replicas, Dr1 crash.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 03:53:32 PM »
Welcome Daniel, and thank you for your service.

Beautiful photography!  I didn't realize that there were any vintage/reproduction aircraft that far upstate, although I have been to Rhinebeck recently, and thought that was the only NY enclave.  I am particularly pleased to see the Strutter.  The Harley is pretty cool too! 

Regards,

Bob

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 08:38:30 AM »
Hi Daniel and thanks for the super photos. I love those of the 1 1/2 Strutter in particular.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 11:34:56 AM »
Thanks for the shots, Daniel. Do you have any more info on that Strutter? What engine? Is there a kit or at least plans to build from?  Now that would be cool to build.

Lindsay

Offline Daniel

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 12:29:22 PM »
Thanks for the shots, Daniel. Do you have any more info on that Strutter? What engine? Is there a kit or at least plans to build from?  Now that would be cool to build.

Lindsay

Sorry Lindsay, I do not. These pics are from a few years ago when I still lived in Geneseo. I have since relocated some fifty miles west near Buffalo and did not attend this years show which was this weekend.

There are several full size and 3/4 scale WWI replicas which attend and perform at the Geneseo show each year. In 2007 a Fokker DVII bit the turf there as well.

http://www.greatwarflyingmuseum.com/planes/our_planes/wwi-rebuild.html

Usually there are at least one Fokker Dr1 and sometimes two or three, Fokker DVII's, SE5A's in full and 3/4 size, a Nieuport 17, Nieuport 28, Sopwiths and others. You never know what may appear at Geneseo until you get there and see what arrives.  Most of the WWI replicas come to Geneseo from Ontario across the Niagara River although some are locally owned and kept at private strips in the area. Austin Wadsworth does a fantastic job producing that airshow, "The Greatest Show On Turf".

http://www.1941hag.org/

As for the 1 1/2 strutter I believe that particular aircraft is registered as C-FSOP/9739/17 and presently hails from the Great War Flying Museum at the Brampton airport. That's a bit misleading because the Brampton airport isn't in Brampton at all. It is in the little town of Caledon further north of Brampton and west of Toronto. They are also home to the DVII which met with the trees in Geneseo.

http://greatwarflyingmuseum.wordpress.com/

I hope this helps. Best regards, Daniel.

"He fought until he landed. When he had come to the ground I flew over him at an altitude of about thirty feet in order to ascertain whether I had killed him or not. What did the rascal do? He took his machine gun and shot holes into my machine"... ~Manfred Von Richthofen.

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 12:31:40 PM »
Sure does, thanks very much!

Offline Daniel

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 01:32:50 PM »