Author Topic: Grounded in London  (Read 3392 times)

Offline rhallinger

Grounded in London
« on: July 09, 2014, 06:05:00 PM »
Well, after seeing all of the sights in London and spending last weekend in Lincoln for the air show at RAF Waddington, I managed to end my 7-day holiday visiting relatives in Hampstead by having a TIA (mini-stroke) 10 hours before planned departure from Heathrow.  I received very fine care from the NHS (for which i must, as a foreigner, pay; no worries though, just cuts in to the modeling budget, but my stash is far too large anyway ;)), and am feeling fine and have no restrictions, other than no flying for ten days!  Some people will do anything to extend their holiday. ;). It's all good though, as we are staying with relatives in a large home in the very lovely Hampstead neighborhood, and changing out airline tix is easy because our son works for the airline and is making the arrangements.  So, I now have an extra week in London to do all of those things that were not on SWMBO's priority list. ;D. I think  trip to Hannants is definately in order!

Seriously though, if any of you are nearby and would like to meet up at a pub for a pint or Hannants for a handshake, by all means let me know and I'll try to arrange it.  I'll buy!

Cheers,

Bob

Offline Chris Johnson

Re: Grounded in London
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 10:09:01 PM »
Not exactly the way a fellow would want to extend his vacation! I'm glad to hear that you're feeling fine. Wishing you all the best Bob!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 10:10:38 PM »
Bob,
    Good to see your positive approach to this however do take it easy and follow all directions imposed! Hope all continues well, that your 10 day grounding allows even more enjoyment of your visit, and that you return safely.
     Take care and keep us updated.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 10:12:01 PM »
Take it very easy Bob and enjoy your extended holiday, glad to hear that you are doing okay.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 10:58:16 PM »
Glad to hear you are OK Bob.

What did you think to Waddington?  I was there both days - did you buy any models?

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 12:27:22 AM »
Take it slow, Bob  ;)
Glad to hear you're feeling OK. Long may that continue.

All the best,
Bob

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 01:08:31 AM »
Get that blood pressure down, Bob!  I think a pint and a trip to Hannant's is just the ticket.  Take it easy, buddy.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 07:00:36 AM »
Take good care of yourself, Bob. I'm glad to hear that you're feeling ok.

We've just come over to the UK to spend a couple of days with our daughter and I'm planning to get a visit in to Hannants  mid-morning tomorrow (Thursday) and then the RAF museum down the road. If you are around it would be great to see you.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline vincentm

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 07:21:24 AM »
Take care. However, a trip to Hannant's is certainly not the best way to keep your stack from growing...

Offline IvotB

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 09:05:39 AM »
Best thing is that you are ok. Try to enjoy your unexpected extended holiday!

regards,
Ivo

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 09:08:54 AM »
The RAF museums a must if you are dropping in on Hannants.  Wish I had time to join you there.

Hope you make a speedy recovery.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 04:50:47 PM »
Thanks for the kind thoughts everyone.  Nigel, I am so pleased that you are in the area.  I plan to go to Hannants mid-morning as well, so perhap we can exchange greetings.  Please PM me and let me know what time you'll be there.  I will be wearing a Red Arrows hat from the airshow last weekend.  Kieth. Thanks for your thoughts.  Too bad you can't make it.  I plan to spend a little time at the RAF Museum afterwards.  Can't beat the admisssion price!

Take care eveyone.

Cheers,

Bob

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 06:26:51 PM »
A heads up, Nigel and Bob.
The Grahame-White hanger is closed until later in the year. A major pain in the butt!
Enjoy the rest of the museum and Hannants.

Take a look at my two Pfalz's when you're in Hannants  ;)

Cheers,
Bob

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 12:16:23 AM »
Good to hear you are feeling better, Bob. Take care of yourself and enjoy
the balance of your "grounding".  All the best.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 02:46:36 AM »
Well, it was great to see you, Bob (as well as meeting Sandy?), and to see that you were on such good form. It was also good to see and chat with Gary (?) at Hannants, where we could admire his models and talk about WNW and much else besides.

VB you were right, of course, about the Grahame-White hangar being closed while they prepare for a big WWI exhibition. I couldn't pin anyone down to a precise re-opening date, they just kept saying the end of the year. So it just meant re-visiting old friends in other display areas, like the FE2b, the late Snipe, the gorgeous part-skinned Brisfit, the DH9 and, even if off-period, the magnificent Short Sunderland.

A day involving seeing forum and other friends is always one to treasure.

Best wishes
Nigel