Author Topic: Sopwith Triplane crash at Old Warden  (Read 1712 times)

Offline Cimmerian

Sopwith Triplane crash at Old Warden
« on: June 30, 2014, 04:49:09 PM »
A friend of mine posted these pictures on a model forum that I'm a member of.

http://s15.zetaboards.com/Mainly_Military/topic/7750585/

The pilot is okay but the Triplane doesn't look too well.
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

Offline Ian from Doncaster

Re: Sopwith Triplane crash at Old Warden
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 06:10:49 PM »
Thankfully the pilot is OK, must have been quite frightening for him for a few seconds.

Aircraft can be repaired, costly maybe, but possible.

Notwithstanding the incident, the pics show a great representation of the aircraft undersides.

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 06:30:53 PM »
Yes something of a bonus for modellers, I'd rather it hadn't happened of course. If only they had listened to the engine and not wanted to disappoint the crowd. I'm sure it's fixable and like said most importantly the pilots okay.  Still distressing to see though

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 07:37:55 PM »
What a dreadful shame to see a beautiful aircraft damaged in such a way, but thankfully the pilot escaped unhurt. The Sopwith will be able to be repaired and will fly again one day, hopefully they discover the cause of the faulty engine.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline John Marco

• Model Art By Marco
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 08:22:34 PM »
A real shame! The good thing is the pilot is ok, they will for sure fix it and more then likely will take top priority as Sopwith Triplane DIXIE is one of their star attractions of Shuttleworth.

Deutschmark

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 09:58:19 PM »
   What a sad sequence to view; :( could have been a lot worse. :o Thankfully the Pilot escaped unscathed and She looks repairable.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 02:46:08 AM »
Thanks for the news, Ken, and thank heavens that the pilot is okay.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline bobbberz

Beware of the hun in the sun!

Offline Daniel

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 10:47:03 AM »
Most unfortunate. Coincidentally I just happen to have seen some video of this just the other day, a head on view of this incident. No doubt the pilot simply could not see the fence in his blind spot.
Also coincidentally -and also most unfortunately- I personally witnessed a very similar incident at Geneseo a few years ago, a triplane crashing literally right in front of me. As in this incident the pilot was o.k. and just a bit shaken up. Oddly and again coincidentally (LOL) I am reminded as today is my birthday (still the 13th here in the US) that on my 18th birthday in 1985 I was present at an airshow at Niagara Falls when the US Navy Blue Angels tragically crashed, again literally right in front of me. Nothing funny about that. I'll start another thread with my Dr1 crash pics and some others from Geneseo as well.

Best regards, Daniel.
"He fought until he landed. When he had come to the ground I flew over him at an altitude of about thirty feet in order to ascertain whether I had killed him or not. What did the rascal do? He took his machine gun and shot holes into my machine"... ~Manfred Von Richthofen.

Offline Pup Cam

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 04:28:52 AM »
i did a bit of "analysis" on my Tripehound build thread.   See post 585 on here:

http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/topic,48364.msg1184691.html#msg1184691

I believe it was the wind conditions rather than engine unservicability that was the main cause of the problem.  The wind was changing direction continuously as in deed it was last Sunday during the Up Close & Personal display.   The aircraft were taking off and landing in different directions and different runways throughout that display.

I was hoping to get an updated version of the "Little" and "Large" photograph I managed last year (just to show progress you understand) at the display on Sunday but of course that wasn't possible.   Had to make do with the Camel instead  :)

As was stated in a previous post, I think they will be going all out to get it fixed as it is a particularly impressive machine and provides a fabulous  display.      The upper wing is already being worked on (I got the chance to speak to the man who is doing it) and the majority of the rest of the aircraft is stripped.   I was fortunate to get the opportunity to take a look at the stripped fuselage which was handy 'cos I now understand the cable routing to the tailplane adjuster which had been puzzling me.   I don't know if work has started on the engine other than an initial external assessment.

I do hope it's sorted out quickly, it is my favourite after all!

Alan