Author Topic: FS: Micro wire for detailing  (Read 951 times)

Offline Berman

FS: Micro wire for detailing
« on: June 29, 2014, 12:57:02 PM »
Your choice of the following types and sizes. Hard .002 inch diameter stainless steel, hard .004 brass, half hard .004 stainless steel, half hard .005 steel, soft .006 copper, and hard .010 brass. You get a one hundred foot length packaged as a three inch diameter coil for $2.50 which includes shipping to USA addresses. For those in other countries, send me an email and let me know what type and how much that you want and I will quote total including shipping.
  Paypal accepted at    [email protected]     Email is      [email protected]
                                                Thanks, Barry

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: FS: Micro wire for detailing
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 01:10:10 PM »
Thanks Barry for posting your wire sale. For those members who work only in metric here is the conversion.

0.002" =  0.05mm
0.004" =  0.10mm
0.005" =  0.12mm
0.006" =  0.15mm
0.010" =  0.25mm

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

firechief

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 06:32:36 AM »
I've purchased from Barry a couple of times in the past....quality guy & quality material.

Offline FOKKERJ

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 05:28:52 AM »
Your choice of the following types and sizes. Hard .002 inch diameter stainless steel, hard .004 brass, half hard .004 stainless steel, half hard .005 steel, soft .006 copper, and hard .010 brass. You get a one hundred foot length packaged as a three inch diameter coil for $2.50 which includes shipping to USA addresses. For those in other countries, send me an email and let me know what type and how much that you want and I will quote total including shipping.
  Paypal accepted at    [email protected]     Email is      [email protected]
                                                Thanks, Barry

Hi Barry,

What are the pros and cons or differences with working in the Hard vs Half Hard Stainless?

TIA, Jay
Studies have shown that people who have more birthdays live longer. :)

Offline Berman

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 12:25:46 AM »
Hard wire tends to stay straighter without tension or support. It will retain a bend without deforming such as being to used to form a spring. Hard wire can easily be softened by annealing just by quickly passing it through a candle flame. Half hard and soft wire is easier to form and ls used for simulating electrical wire such as spark plug leads. Soft and half hard wire can be hardened through a process called tempering where the wire is heated and then quickly quenched in water or oil but this is trickier to do than annealing. Sometimes metal that has be heated is placed in a relatively low heat(350 F) for an hour instead of quenching so the metal does not become brittle. Easier just to buy hard wire.

Offline FOKKERJ

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 08:00:26 AM »
Thank You Barry for the quick reply.
Studies have shown that people who have more birthdays live longer. :)