Author Topic: Roden SE5a Viper  (Read 2296 times)

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
Roden SE5a Viper
« on: June 29, 2014, 01:40:48 AM »
Just done - here's my interpretation of Mannock's SE5a D278.
It's been in my stash for a while. I was always going to tackle it, because Mannock is such a compelling character, and to my eyes the SE5 is one of the best looking fighters from the war. I well remember being struck by its rakish lines when as a boy I ventured forth on my first solo trip up to London, where to commemorate 50 years of the RAF, they'd assembled a remarkable collection of famous machines, right there on Horse Guards Parade, including the very handsome F938 which I assume is now at Hendon.
So why have I not built this kit before now? After all, isn't it a simple, sturdy design...? Indeed it is; but one of the reasons it was so sturdy was an extravagant use of rigging wire. Doubled up, what's more; I held off for a while.

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
Re: Roden SE5a Viper
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 01:53:25 AM »
One hiccup late on was down to utter complacency. I didn't think twice about the markings, until accidentally discovering that the markings provided in the kit are a mix-up of markings from Mannock's machines from two different squadrons. Well, I was sure I wanted to build his 74 Sqn machine, so I looked up Pheon to see what they had, and they were indeed able to help me out ie. their SE5 Viper Aces in France set. I am aware there may be some speculative aspects here, but if one can't trust Rowan's research, then we're all lost :)

The figures are Kellerkind Miniatures' new 'Kameraden' offering. Very nice, I think. I'm no better a figure painter than I am a modeller, and wish I had found some painted examples to copy, but this will do for me. I performed one tiny bit of surgery, the removal of the pilot's moustache, which as far as I know Mannock never sported.

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 02:07:18 AM »
I think well over half the time I spent on this kit was devoted to the various stages of rigging it. For starters, there are no less than ten instances of double wiring, including some of the control wires. I'm really pleased (should I say relieved?) at how it turned out. No, I didn't try to do turnbuckles, only because I can hardly see them where RAFwire is used. Sorry about my slack standards there!

I was more preoccupied with the six inspection windows. You may know that Roden, despite the generally good level of detail in this kit (and their others from their early 1/32 era), weirdly decided that bare unrealistic decals would do. So, I spent ages digging out pits, and installing a crude representation of pulleys etc. Maybe they're a bit so-so, but a whole lot better than if I hadn't. The control wires do actually wind round the pulleys and exit out to the control horns - probably pointless, since you can't really see that, but I get some masochistic satisfaction out of having bothered to go that far.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 02:18:59 AM »
Excellent modelling there and well worth the time taken to rig it. Looks every bit an SE and as you say, one of the more aesthetically pleasing machines from this period.

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 02:20:20 AM »
Final pic! Pity that I can't quite sort out the colour balance - I used Misterkit PC10 and it's actually a little 'greener' than it appears in the pictures. Because of shooting by daylight I suppose.

Anyway, I'm very happy now. I try to improve my skills each time and I reckon I have, especially with the double wiring and the inspection windows. I wonder why WNW still haven't produced a direct-drive SE5a kit (ie. 'Viper' engined though in fact some had direct drive Hispanos I think). Deference to the existence of Roden's kit surely can't be the reason after all this time. One point is that many if not most of the more famous SE aces flew Viper machines.

Never mind. I prefer the look of the Viper machines. It's a subtle thing, but there's something cooler looking about the lower thrust line, and the more aggressive looking radiator. And of course this is partly about remembering Mannock, definitely worth reading up on if you never have.

Cheers
Mark

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 02:26:45 AM »
Great job on the SE5, Bluesfan.  Glad you got the decals sorted.  I
like your little vignette, as well.  Nicely done!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 02:40:02 AM »
Wonderfully down , really nice job on the figure as well  :) Thank-you for sharing with us  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 03:05:45 AM »
For those who are interested in Mannock there is a memorial plaque to him in Canterbury cathedral - it is on the south wall of the nave towards the southwest door (where most visitors enter the building). Mannock was not a member of the aristocracy or from a wealthy local family (who are usually commemorated in the cathedral), but came from an ordinary Irish family. Most of the memorials to servicemen in the cathedral who were not officers or of aristocratic birth are in the form of regimental or group memorials, which makes Mannock's personal memorial exceptional, but then he was an exceptional pilot, not only because of his flying and shooting skills, but because of his care and concern for his men and his outstanding leadership skills.

Offline Andi Little

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 03:14:18 AM »
An excellent completion Mark - it does you proud, as does the modesty in your achievements.
A cracking model, a worthy tribute, and a sweet dioramic tale.

All told - pretty damn good by my book.

Marvellous.
KBO ............. Andi.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 04:09:12 AM »
Brilliant work, Mark!  Lovely vignette.  You've inspired me to start one of my SE5a's.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 06:49:52 AM »
Many thanks for all the kind comments :) Much appreciated
I've just been admiring some other recent completed builds and can see I have much to aspire to!

Thanks also lone modeller for the info about his plaque in Canterbury. I gather his father was a Scottish soldier who abandoned his family when Edward was young. Mannock was a telephone engineer before the war and was working in Turkey when the war started; he nearly died while in Turkish confinement, before being sent home. Yes, a remarkable leader of men; to my mind one of the very many bright lights we lost to the war.

Mark

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 08:12:21 AM »
A very nicely finished model and I agree that the S.E.5a was one of the best looking fighters of the war.

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 08:17:06 AM »
Your Roden SE5a is really great.

You also done a good job in getting the cowling on - I had trouble getting mine on both the Hisso and Viper version.

Regards

Dave

As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 08:58:12 AM »
Brilliant work, Mark!  Lovely vignette.  You've inspired me to start one of my SE5a's.
Cheers,
Bud

I agree with Bud, Brilliant. Funny thing is I had already decided ,sort of, to change my next build from the WNW Pup to the Encore Hisso SE. Mine will be finished as McCuddens bird of course.
Beautiful work,
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 09:52:01 AM »
Beautiful work on your SE.5a Mark, the overall finish is excellent and you did a superb job with the rigging, well done. BTW, your figure painting skills are quite good  :)

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com