Author Topic: Finished Photos of German Navy Zeppelin LZ41/L11 Model (Hippo Models)  (Read 4599 times)

Offline Phillip1

Fellow Modelers,

Below are photos of my Hippo Models’ 1/144 scale WWI German naval airship LZ41 (L11).  It is a huge model with an overall length of 44.5”.  The model contained 96 tan and clear resin parts with a majority of the pieces used on the two gondolas that hung under the hull.  There were no instructions or paint color references (i.e. FS numbers) provided.  I tried to make my model look exactly like what was on the model box top and on Hippo Models’ website.  Actual WWI German zeppelin colors are very elusive, and heavily debated from what I have read.  The two main colors used on the hull were black and a special mix of tan/dark yellow.  A dirty fabric effect was created by dry brushing tan over all the yellow areas, and dark ghost gray over all the black areas.  Very small surgical steel rods (.005”) were used for the gondola guy wires.  The ship carries a unique “test” camouflage that was applied shortly after it was retired from combat.  Unfortunately this model is longer available from Hippo Models, which is too bad since it is a really good resin kit.  Listed below is a short history of L11.   

L11 was one of ten Type “P” Class zeppelins purchased by the German Navy in the summer of 1914.  It was built by Luftschiffbau Zeppelin G.m.b.H. and commissioned on June 8, 1915.  The two primary functions of the zeppelins were strategic bombing over England and scouting missions for the Imperial German Navy.  As a strategic bomber, L11 participated in 18 raids, more than any other zeppelin.  As a scouting aircraft, L11 completed 31 missions, which included providing critical observations during the famous Battle of Jutland (May 31, 1916). 
As more advanced zeppelins, with greater lifting capabilities and increased maximum ceilings, became available the surviving “P” Class airships were retired from combat duty.  L11 became a training ship and conducted 276 flights as a trainer from September 18, 1916-April 5, 1917.  It was decommissioned on April 5, 1917 and was dismantled, beginning November 24, 1917.

Class:             “P”
Designation:          L11 (Builder’s designation LZ41)
Capacity:         1,126,700 ft3
Length:         536.4 ft.
Crew Compliment:      18
Engines:          (4) Maybach C-X, of 219 h.p.   
Maximum Speed:       57.7 m.p.h.      
Ceiling:          10,500 ft.      
Full Speed Endurance:    2,700 miles

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
Wow! That is a very impressive model. Nice finish too. Is it very heavy?
Where do you keep it - on display?
Thanks for sharing
Regards
James
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
Incredible! How many bottles of paint did you go through on that?

Lindsay

Offline Phillip1

continued...

I hope you enjoy the photos.

Phillip

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Absolutely amazing Phillip, this is a very impressive looking model and has been built beautifully, the finish on the model is superb.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
   Now that's an eye catcher! Big, beautifully built and finished, and well presented.
Congratulations on a very fine Model, Phillip.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline stefanbuss

It is a real pity that this model is no longer available. Your build is very very impressive - I would like to know how you intend to display it (do you have such a large cabinet?).

Very well done.

Stefan

Offline Nigel Jackson

Magnificent work, Phillip. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline radio

Great build Philip.
Martin

Offline RAGIII

Phillip,
Absolutely STUNNING!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Phillip1

Re: Finished Photos of German Navy Zeppelin LZ41/L11 Model (Hippo Models)
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 01:21:34 AM »
RAGIII, radio, Nigel Jackson, stefanbuss, lcarroll, Des, LindseyT, Jamo-Thanks for the compliments.  They are appreciated.

Jamo-The hull is hollow, but yes the model is heavy and hard to handle.  I have it in a large, glass display case (very similar to a jewelry/watch display case you see in department stores.  It has sliding doors that open in the back and metal.)

LindseyT-I think I used two bottles of dark tan and one bottle of black painting the hull.

Stefanbuss-see above on the display case.

Phillip

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 02:32:12 AM »
Phillip, what a wonderful model you have made! Unusual subject, but an
amazing job.  Very well done. :)

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Mark

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 05:23:45 AM »
WONDERFUL model and finish! I particularly love the "weathering" over the ribs!

Guess I need to catch-up on my research . . . never realized there was a "crows nest" platform on top of the bag holding guns and gunners. I wonder who "volunteered" for those positions?  :o

Mark G.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 11:27:20 PM »
Wow ! That is a huge model . Wonderful job on an interesting subject  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .